Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Items brought back by grandfather

Article about: I had mentioned in another thread about some items my grandfather had brought back with him after the war, and a forum member said he'd like to see them, so I though I would post them here.

Johnnie13
    ?

Default Items brought back by grandfather

I had mentioned in another thread about some items my grandfather had brought back with him after the war, and a forum member said he'd like to see them, so I though I would post them here.

My grandfather was an air gunner in Bomber Command completing his first tour in 1942/43, and then after a period of training other aircrfat he return to ops in January 1945.

At the end of the war he was in Gardermoen, and that is where most of the items came from. The wings and coin were given to him by a German airman, while the altimeter was removed from an aircraft and mounted in the block for him by a member of ground crew.

The piece of shrapnel has another story. This was removed brom his shoulder after a raid to Berlin on the 27th March 1943. His log book states Operations - Berlin - Hit on shoulder by piece of flak. Shot up near Celle.

Anyway, hope you find the items of interest.

Johnnie
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Items brought back by grandfather   Items brought back by grandfather  

Items brought back by grandfather   Items brought back by grandfather  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Items brought back by grandfather

Hi Johnnie, they are fantastic items made all the better by knowing where they came from.

That peice of shrapnel is huge! He was very lucky not to loose an arm after being hit by something that size. I expect his aircrew clothing is what saved him.

As you know the odds of anyone in Bomber Command surviving a single tour were not good. (My Great Uncle was an A/G and was killed in a training flight in '44. I have written about him here)

Cheers, Ade.

?

Ouch !!! thats one nasty sized chunk of flak !!!
    Gary J.

?

FL 22316-1
    Here you go a drawing ....
    .. found at this site ...

Luftwaffe Flugzeuge

Gary J.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Items brought back by grandfather  

Johnnie13
    ?

Thank you for the plan and the comments. I never had the chance to meet my grandfather as he died a few years before I was born, however he kept most of his items so I have his medals, log, lots of photos, maps, uniform, and catipillar club badge ect. It was really his items that started me collecting military items, and although I have a few German items that I bought when I was younger I tend only to collect Second World War RAF items and Great War medals now.

Johnnie