Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Kriegsmarine Boatswain's Whistle

Article about: Unmarked but this is what I believe it to be? Nickle plated brass with an old repair. Came home with a British Veteran. Cheers, Ade.

Default Kriegsmarine Boatswain's Whistle

Unmarked but this is what I believe it to be? Nickle plated brass with an old repair.

Came home with a British Veteran.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine Boatswain's Whistle   Kriegsmarine Boatswain's Whistle  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine Boatswain's Whistle
    P
    Many

It looks like a nice period original Ade, great find !!

?

Looks like a nice original. They do tend to be unmarked and to be honest most of the marked ones I've seen are to say the least highly dubious.

Please have a look to my whistle. It’s German, but is it Bundeswehr, civil ? Or replica? You can buy this one as new. Maybe it is from 2.ww?

Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine Boatswain's Whistle   Kriegsmarine Boatswain's Whistle  

Quote by Dickdan007 View Post
    Please have a look to my whistle. It’s German, but is it Bundeswehr, civil ? Or replica? You can buy this one as new. Maybe it is from 2.ww?

Thanks
    The Bo's'uns pipe has been around for a long time and has been used by pretty much every navy in the world. The design is simple and is almost as traditional as the item itself. This makes it very difficult to attribute without markings or provenance. The problem is made much worse because in peacetime large numbers were exported from centres of manufacture (Birmingham England is just one that has produced and still does produce a very high proportion of "whistles" accross the globe). The 2nd shown above, with the buttons is a 100% match for my Royal Navy example made in England. Take a view!

Regards

Mark

Kriegsmarine Boatswain's Whistle
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Unmarked but this is what I believe it to be? Nickle plated brass with an old repair.

Came home with a British Veteran.

Cheers, Ade.
    I like it Ade, do you know any more of the provenance apart from it being a vet bring back?

You are right that it is nickle plated brass which was and to a large extent still is the industry standard for this type of thing. The brass for its suitability to the manufacturing process and nickle plate for aesthetics and ease of maintenance escpecially on an item that will suffer the effects of ;salt air, saliva and hand grease all at once!!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Sadly no more than that. The Vet was CO of a PoW cage.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!