Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Kriegsmarine Leather Coat - Need Opinions Please...

Article about: I recently picked up a few leather coats, along with several other WWII period items, and this was in the lot. I've found Kriegsmarine leather coat examples online that appear very similar t

?

Default Kriegsmarine Leather Coat - Need Opinions Please...

I recently picked up a few leather coats, along with several other WWII period items, and this was in the lot. I've found Kriegsmarine leather coat examples online that appear very similar to this one...

The Collector's Guild

Axis History Factbook: Kriegsmarine U-Boat Leather Deck Coat

...not to mention the very distinguishing period Kriegsmarine buttons and the "M 1942" stamp on the inside liner. I've found where the "M" is used in conjunction with the Kriegsmarine eagle stamp as shown in this example...

U-166* Navy Foul Weather Set

I'd like to get some opinions on it from someone that may have one of these in their collection, or just knows a good deal about Kriegsmarine leather and cloth.

Thanks!
    Dzyner

Kriegsmarine Leather Coat - Need Opinions Please...Kriegsmarine Leather Coat - Need Opinions Please...Kriegsmarine Leather Coat - Need Opinions Please...Kriegsmarine Leather Coat - Need Opinions Please...Kriegsmarine Leather Coat - Need Opinions Please...Kriegsmarine Leather Coat - Need Opinions Please...Kriegsmarine Leather Coat - Need Opinions Please...Kriegsmarine Leather Coat - Need Opinions Please...Kriegsmarine Leather Coat - Need Opinions Please...Kriegsmarine Leather Coat - Need Opinions Please...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine Leather Coat - Need Opinions Please...
    P
    Many

piw
    ?

Default Re: Kriegsmarine Leather Coat - Need Opinions Please...

Good looking coat

Hi Darren, I will caveat my reply as Kriegsmarine is not my thing, but.....

I have never seen a KM leather coat in brown leather before.

Once again the presence of a belt troubles me.

General cut of the jacket.

The buttons while original I am not wholly convinced are original to the coat. I would look very closely to see if there is any trace of previous stitch marks. Are these held on now with split rings?

Cheers, Ade.

Not a expert either by any means but I too do not like this item for the same reasons as Ade.

Also, I would expect it to be lined in blanket material and stamped with an embossed eagle into the leather on the inside of the coat like the grey example you have provided in your link.

From memory brown leather was used by the KM in WW1 and I would not trust anything per N & T Global trading as according to what I have read previously, this company (now defunct) was notorious for the amount of fakes that they sold.

I would share your concerns re N&T.

Cheers, Ade.

?

The coat is similar by cut to the KM jacket, but to me it looks like not a contact issue.
    This one has a tags on it and is completed with trousers. Note, that the buttons is originally in brown color too, also lining on a contract items is allways grey wool lined
    More pictures here: WW2 German marine suit set

Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Given the comments from Dimas, the clue to this may lie in the zip pocket that you show in pic9.

Any chance of a close up on this?

My gut instinct still says that this is not cirrect but I would be quite happy to be proved wrong.

?

nice jacket

agree that the liner is not conventional and also the belt is not something i have seen before. The stamp on the liner is also not what i would expect to see on a KM leather jacket.
    I will have to disagree with Ade on the color as brown jackets were often used in KM like the one i attach below. This one belonged to Knight Cross winner OBtsMt Rudolf Mühlbauer, Stabsbootsmann of the famed U-123.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine Leather Coat - Need Opinions Please...  
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Morning,
    I don`t know KM Leather Jackets with "Belt" like this on the backside.
    It is not very helpfully on Board.
    Regards
    Nikolaus