Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kriegsmarine´s Cap talleys

Article about: Hello everybody: How it´s possible to detect an original kriegsmarine cap talley? An dealer offer me an original Schanhorst cap talley. See the picture Regards

wittman
    ?

Default Kriegsmarine´s Cap talleys

Hello everybody:
    How it´s possible to detect an original kriegsmarine cap talley? An dealer offer me an original Schanhorst cap talley.
    See the picture

Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine´s Cap talleys  

2. # ADS

?

Default Re: Kriegsmarine´s Cap talleys

I newer heard that someone faked them, is it embroidered?
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

wittman
    ?

Quote by Dimas View Post
    I newer heard that someone faked them, is it embroidered?
    I think so, but I´m not sure.It´s the only picture available.

I think Ade may have mentioned a while back that 'Graf Spee' tallies had been faked in reply to a question about buying one, but i'm not 100% sure. Over to you Ade..

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Guys, yes these tallies and other famous ship tallies are certainly faked.

I am no expert on these (or anything else for that matter) so I cannot really give an opinion on the one on offer.

Cheers, Ade.

Caseydiggz
    ?

I've heard that even though these are faked, most are hard to fake. Most of these fakes are quite easy to tell. So if my "sources" are correct then I believe that is an original. BUT I CAN'T GUARANTEE IT'S ORIGINALITY 100%

Hi Casey,

Could you or your source explain the differences in these tallies real or fake? It would certainly be beneficial to a lot of forum members. Photo's front and back with an accurate explanation of differences between good and bad would be most appreciated!

In anticipation, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Here are a selection of fakes from a British dealer. I cannot post a direct link due to the nature of his website. So go to the Third Reich section and you will see them listed.

http://www.nicholasmorigi.com/catalo...0CAP%20TALLIES

The Scharnhorst tally is actually one of the best faked examples made. (The one to be seen in the above link are made from modern thread.) But these can also be found made from natural materials, being woven in cellulose type thread on a silk base, with no nylon or other man made materials used, and which uses the correct German script stroke type "S".

These were made in the UK and were sold as souvenir copies on HMS Belfast in London. These tallies were however, cut in the same way as Royal Navy cap ribbons, which is much shorter than the correct German style, and with the text offset to one side rather than being central. To disguise this fact, many were cut down to leave only a few inches of tally either side of the lettering. So beware any cut down examples!

Cheers, Ade.

An old thread here, but these are two that I have that I believe to be original if that helps.

Best,
    Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images Kriegsmarine´s Cap talleys 

Apologies, I should have done my research and confirmed first. The destroyer talley is post-war and the Schornhorst is believed to also be a post-war reproduction.

Best,
    Adam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast