Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Long leather trench coat authenticity - HELP please !

Article about: So the story goes like this - my grandfather took a trip in Germany after the WWII, and he bought this leather coat. So he told me that this coat is actually a german officer coat. The coat

v0r
    ?

Default Long leather trench coat authenticity - HELP please !

So the story goes like this - my grandfather took a trip in Germany after the WWII, and he bought this leather coat. So he told me that this coat is actually a german officer coat. The coat itself if very heavy, yet I have noticed that inside part of the coat doesn't look authentic. Probably it was replaced at one point. How ever , there are some inside parts of fabric which looks authentic , like pocket parts which are in olive green color. Also, I have noticed that there is a writing ' STOCKO ' at the small inside belt's connector. So I did a littlebit of research aboutj STOCKO and I have found out that STOCKO is a company with a tradition going back for more than one hundred years. The foundation stone was laid by Alfred Aders, Heinrich Pfeiffer, and Johann August Stock 1901 at Wuppertal under the name of Stock & Co. - as button manufacturers. I will try to post a few photos of the coat itself even that I have just joined this forum and I still don't know how things works here. My question is - if anyone can help me to determine if this coat is genuine military coat or not. Thank you ! ( Please forgive me about my english since it is not my native language ) Long leather trench coat authenticity - HELP please !Long leather trench coat authenticity - HELP please !Long leather trench coat authenticity - HELP please !Long leather trench coat authenticity - HELP please !Long leather trench coat authenticity - HELP please !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Long leather trench coat authenticity - HELP please !
    P
    Many

Almost impossible to tell one way or the other, with all the alterations. The liner and buttons are almost certainly replacements. If it Was a military coat and once had a dagger strap inside it, I'm sure it's long since gone. Leather trench coats were very popular from WWII all the way into the 1970's-in both Europe and the US. I used to always wear one -wore out several of them over the years. Unfortunately, Columbine happened and suddenly black leather trench coats were instant pariah's. Personally, I'd take it to a seamstress and have that liner pulled out and put a new black satin one in and wear it like it was meant to be worn. They're nice coats in any case! It'll never be a German military coat again-if it ever Was-but it's still a fine coat! I actually doubt that it was Military, due to the scalloped cape on the shoulders and the fancy styling of the cuff straps, but it could just as easily have been a Private Purchase coat that was Worn in the military as well. It needs it's Belt, though!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

v0r
    ?

Ty for your answer Wagriff ! I really appreciate it . Yes, probably some parts were changed, like you've pointed out. Also , like I have previously said, I'm not sure about it's authenticity since I don't know anything about german uniforms. I thought that maybe it was a millitary coat or even secret police coat of Nazi germany. I'm not sure if secret police coats had a dagger straps inside? Again many thanks for your answer !

Civilian coat.
    Wehrmacht leather overcoats followed the pattern of the wool greatcoats, ie, provisions for shoulder boards; a dagger hanger; half belt on the rear, and were double-breasted.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

See this thread for authentic examples:

Post Your Ledermantels!

v0r
    ?

Hm I have just found this link, and this is probably the only leather coat which contains the very same 'fancy ' cuffs strapes shape . And it's Albert-Speer's leather coat ! Any ideas ? Check it out : Nazi Albert Speer's leather coat is up for auction | Daily Mail Online

RZM tag for the "Speer" coat is bogus. Thing was sold on Ebay. Just another civilian coat.

Quote by v0r View Post
    I thought that maybe it was a millitary coat or even secret police coat of Nazi germany. I'm not sure if secret police coats had a dagger straps inside?
    No such thing as a "secret police coat", really.

Gestapo men wore plainclothes on duty, i.e. ordinary civilian suits.

In cold or wet weather, they naturally wore civilian coats over their suits; the type, style, material and color of the coat solely depending on the weather and the officer's personal preferences and budget.

Black leather coats may or may not have been particularly popular, but the Gestapo officer "uniformed" in a black hat and leather coat is just a movie cliché.

So...if nothing else, this does confirm that the coat was, indeed, of the Time Era that your grandfather said it was. He got it while in Germany. It's a civilian coat, but many officers purchased their own coats. Is it one that was worn by a German officer? That bit will have to be forever lost to time...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by stonemint View Post
    Civilian coat.
    Wehrmacht leather overcoats followed the pattern of the wool greatcoats, ie, provisions for shoulder boards; a dagger hanger; half belt on the rear, and were double-breasted.
    I agree. This type of coat was also quite common in the prosperity of post war West Germany, and a lot of Americans lived in West Germany from 1949 until 1990. Including me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast