Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

luffwaffe tunic with camp insignia

Article about: Hello all, Just wanted to offer this up for any opinions before I part with any money. I'd love to see this in are holocaust museum here in Houston. I feel very good about this one. My opini

Default Re: luffwaffe tunic with camp insignia

Quote by youthcollector1 View Post
    Just trying to say they became a member of the ss while on duty at the camp.
    That would be a BIG negative.. SS was the BEST of the BEST, there were no honorary nothing.. At most IF they were attached to a SS camp, they would be basturd children..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement luffwaffe tunic with camp insignia
    P
    Many

?

Mate, I'd buy it....it's different, and I doubt you will ever know for sure when that eagle was applied....could have been period, a replacement....still a nice unusual tunic

it's a personal decision i guess, and without knowing the price it's hard for me to judge.

however, my personal preference is not to buy pieces which were put together. i am not saying this one is. i don't know for sure, but there are those couple of things i'm not comfortable with as far as whether or not insignia were added and that, for me and me only, would lead me to pass on this one and wait for one i am more certain of as far as its being now exactly what it was then.

of course, everything has a price point where appeal is there regardless and not all collect as others do.

often people feel rushed... that a thing is rare and might never come up again... but i've been in this business of collecting long enough to know that no matter the rarity, there is ALWAYS a second chance and often better one if you are patient and you are resourceful.

Thank you for your response tempel. It's 1,000 usd just so you know. Don't know if this would effect your decision.

It appears that the tunic has no shoulder straps. It does not make sense that someone would only strip the boards. I agree that it is likely a post war piece assembled from original parts. The unit collar tab is one of the common ones found in the Dachau lots.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Hi Bob. Thanks for the post. I as well notice that the tunic was missing the shoulder boards. My thoughts were that if your theory is correct, why would they leave them off. Most of the construction lets very well done; they knew what they were doing if this is so. However, I agree this is a very possible theory. Like I said, I like this tunic, but it's not just for me. I'm getting it for our museum. Therefore the history behind it is extermely important!

Quote by youthcollector1 View Post
    Hi Bob. Thanks for the post. I as well notice that the tunic was missing the shoulder boards. My thoughts were that if your theory is correct, why would they leave them off. Most of the construction lets very well done; they knew what they were doing if this is so. However, I agree this is a very possible theory. Like I said, I like this tunic, but it's not just for me. I'm getting it for our museum. Therefore the history behind it is extermely important!
    For me, this piece poses too many questions that need to be answered. Through my years of collecting, I found that when I had to make excuses to justify why an item was the way it was, I was better off not purchasing it. That is how I feel about this tunic.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

a very good way of putting it from Bob Coleman.

i would reject it for philosophical reasons outlined before having to do with the likely post war assemblage of the piece.

those who do not care about this would be looking at it from a sum-of-the-parts perspective. looking at it in this light, you're looking at about $400 worth of insignia (dealer prices) and together with the tunic in apparent condition as photographed it is perhaps not a screaming buy but not an incredible rip off either.

in short, Bob's "excuses to justify an item" comment comes most powerfully to mind in my view.

set the One Large aside and save it. wait for a better opportunity and even pay more down the road. you will then presumably have a piece you can show with pride and one which serves as a true and period example of the type which generates, on the showing, more compliments than questions.

those would be my thoughts.

Your reputation proceeds you, and I do agree with you. You always have sound advice. I want this to be good so bad I am determined to convince myself. Sometimes I found myself doing this. However, I do believe it is possible it's period construction but more than likely not? Thank you so much for your reply to this and all the others. I always look forward to hear from the members whom have knowledge such as you.

I posted as the same time as you tempel. I can't agree more. I do feel this is a very understandable emotion though. I and many other, now and before me, are so passionate about collecting these items, they find themself doing this. It's a very easy thing to do in my opinion.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast