Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Luftwaffe cloth breast eagles

Article about: I have these two breast eagles in my collection of WW2 insignia and would appreciate opinion and any information on them from fellow collectors. I am a new member to this site and hope to le

Default Luftwaffe cloth breast eagles

I have these two breast eagles in my collection of WW2 insignia and would appreciate opinion and any information on them from fellow collectors.

I am a new member to this site and hope to learn from it.

Thank youLuftwaffe cloth breast eagles

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe cloth breast eagles
    P
    Many

Default Re: Luftwaffe cloth breast eagles

Both are machine embroidered and the lower one is a pre war drop tail, very nice, whilst the upper is wartime and is probably OK, but I would need to see a better bigger pic to be certain. Welcome to the forum.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I think both are fine.

Thank you to you both. I bought the wartime issue example from a very reputable dealer many years ago so do feel confident about it. I was pleased to hear that the "drop-tail" example is pre-war - having bought it for a VERY reasonable price at a local flea market.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    I think both are fine.
    You must have better eyesight than me then, if you can be so certain. It exhibits at least two features that concern me.
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi,

I will post a better pic of the wartime one, along with a reverse side view (if it will help), tomorrow. I might also add that there are still traces of a brownish coloured thread on the edges where it would have been sewn onto the tunic while the pre-war one has traces of a light blue/grey thread.

A picture of the reverse would be a help, as many of these have clues form the construction only visible on the reverse. It is probably a fine original, but as I stated I cannot be certain from the small picture of just the obverse shown so far, though others might be so capable.
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry B,

As requested I attach hopefully some better quality images - including one of the back. Sadly it had been originally glued onto a display board (before I bought it) but it should give you the information you need. It may also be noticeable that there are still some brownish threads on the badge (above the right hand side wing in particular).
    I also include an image of the reverse of the "drop tail" version.

Thanks again!
    Luftwaffe cloth breast eaglesLuftwaffe cloth breast eaglesLuftwaffe cloth breast eagles

Thanks for the extra pictures, though they are still too small to allow a clear look at the finer details of such an item if you want a 100% certain answer IMHO. I would want to see a picture similar to the Welch cap badge I just posted in another thread (see below as reference), for which I am not seeking opinions. If you click on it you can see that it will enlarge to a much bigger size which allows a more detailed examination to be undertaken.

It is probably an original, but I would never buy an example with the chain linked wing highlight threads, though they are said by others to be an acceptable feature of originals, but for me this was always considered to be a feature only found on fakes/copies and I'm too old to change.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe cloth breast eagles   Luftwaffe cloth breast eagles  

Regards,

Jerry

Hello Jerry,

I had to change the settings on my camera - a new one so still learning! Trust these will do.

Thanks again for your input.Luftwaffe cloth breast eaglesLuftwaffe cloth breast eagles

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast