Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Luftwaffe Der Spiess fliegerbluse - FJR 3 ?

Article about: Hi, I picked this "Der Spiess" fliegerbluse up in 2014 but have never posted it, partly as I was waiting to add a Fallschirmjager badge to it. Finally replaced the filler copy and

?

Default Luftwaffe Der Spiess fliegerbluse - FJR 3 ?

Hi, I picked this "Der Spiess" fliegerbluse up in 2014 but have never posted it, partly as I was waiting to add a Fallschirmjager badge to it. Finally replaced the filler copy and added an original "JMME" (IMME) FJ badge (with the characteristic silver wreath of that maker) and so decided the time was right to finally post it properly.

The badge has recently been discussed here with further pictures:-

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/falls...e-show-736004/

Sadly I can't be sure if it's FJR 3 but I'd like to think it might be! It was sold via the Virtual Grenadier with the following description from the VG website:-

"Luftwaffe piped collar Flieger blouse for Flight Feldwebel acting as Spiess, mid war example modified for wear by a senior NCO, lined and with pocket bags of light blue rayon, stamped in black ink with sizes, having large blue glass front closure buttons, blue painted metal pebbled buttons are used at lower pocket flaps and the smaller size silver pebbled metal buttons to secure the shoulder straps and small black plastic buttons are used for inner collar, internal pockets and bandage pocket, blouse was modified with the addition of reinforced opening for suspension of sword or dagger, plus integral cuff adjustments were removed and the sleeves fully lined in white rayon, insignia consists of an unusual embroidered national emblem with a combination of white thread and silver wire embroidery, this is machine applied and replaces the factory installed eagle, wool collar tabs with gulls are machine stitched, gulls' prongs protrude through the collar, metallic Luftwaffe NCO tresse is machine applied to the collar and there is sign of former gull application indicating previous rank, the collar is edged in twisted flight colored Waffenfarbe piping and the outer edge has machine applied non metallic NCO tresse, a matched pair of synthetically piped slip on shoulder straps are included, each has machine sewn metallic NCO tresse, three rank pips and the numeral 3, the Spiess 'piston rings' are also of non metallic NCO tresse, are machine sewn and the ends are sewn into the rear cuff seam, there are loops for three or four breast badges including one screw back award, blouse is lightly worn and there is a large and well executed wartime patch at the lower right underarm (the Spiess rings are applied over this patch), there is a metal button under the right shoulder strap to anchor marksmanship lanyard, nice looking"

https://www.virtualgrenadier.com/sale_item.php?iid=2746 - VG link

and this background information from the consignor:-

"Picked it up at the SOS from a table of LW stuff being sold from the estate of a deceased collector. I think the soldier was from FJR3."

Other than that it has what looks like it might be an originally applied (IMHO) Lanyard button under the right shoulder strap, which might suggest ground forces rather than aircrew, and if the shoulder straps (and numerals - of course non-official) are original to the blouse then just maybe....

It appears to be a service tunic with some wear (note the repaired sleeve), 'saved' and converted to a walking out tunic with a number of modifications as might sometimes be expected by a senior NCO. The eagle is a private purchase type of a rare pattern (I have noted only one other example shown on the WAF, but there might be others), that I believe has the look of a period 'upgrade', and is in keeping with the other numerous upgrades and 'tweaks' that the blouse has.

A dagger hanger opening has been added, the back and sleeves have been relined with rayon (white in the case of the sleeves), the cuff adjustments have been removed and a blue cotton lining added to the very end of the sleeves. There is also a hole for a screw-back award where I have added an EK1, and loops for 2 further badges, one set (actually 3 loops for added strength) where I have added the FJ badge, and another set that might suit a Wound badge (have one but it was 'buried' and had limited time when I took the pictures!)

The yellow piped collar is no doubt also tailor added as this is an RB numbered blouse which was originally rayon lined at the factory so likely made from 1942 onwards. The collar piping was dropped in 1940 (March I think) but is often seen added to later manufactured blouses, especially by NCO's.

Interestingly, the RB number (faint but visible in natural light) has been stamped on upside down! The number is "0/0340/003(5?) . "0340" being the town, but unknown (to me) at the moment.

I will add pictures, starting with the VG supplied pictures in case the above link disappears in the future, and then my own taken the other day. I hope you like it!

Regards, Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Der Spiess fliegerbluse - FJR 3 ?   Luftwaffe Der Spiess fliegerbluse - FJR 3 ?  

Luftwaffe Der Spiess fliegerbluse - FJR 3 ?   Luftwaffe Der Spiess fliegerbluse - FJR 3 ?  

Luftwaffe Der Spiess fliegerbluse - FJR 3 ?   Luftwaffe Der Spiess fliegerbluse - FJR 3 ?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Der Spiess fliegerbluse - FJR 3 ?
    P
    Many

?

VG pics 2
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Der Spiess fliegerbluse - FJR 3 ?   Luftwaffe Der Spiess fliegerbluse - FJR 3 ?  

Luftwaffe Der Spiess fliegerbluse - FJR 3 ?  

?

My own pictures.

?

?

?

?

A last couple of shots with some 'accompaniments' and an FJR 3 picture album!

A few more pictures of the album here:-

https://www.virtualgrenadier.com/sale_item.php?iid=2163

with a description from the Virtual Grenadier website:-

"Foto album from member of 14./Fallschirmjäger Regiment 3, album measures 22x16cm and has a textured cardboard cover with an early style aluminum Luftwaffe eagle, there are 33 total photos, the first several pages contain mass produced FJ-themed postcards, the balance of the album has photos of comrades undergoing jump training, field exercises, marches, on holiday, etc., captions in white and yellow pencil, there are photos of early GM smocks and double decal FJ helmets in wear, there are two photos of Feldwebel Döring who fell on Crete, nice little album from a unique unit"

Regards, Paul

Great looking Fliegerbluse and with that lovely private purchase eagle and the regimental numerals makes this very special indeed....

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images Luftwaffe Der Spiess fliegerbluse - FJR 3 ? 

MAP
    ?

I love it. Lots of history behind this piece.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

very nice!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast