Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe Obergefreiter 4 pocket tunic for a Radio Op/Air Gunner in LG1

Article about: Not too many Other Ranks Luftwaffe tunics that are unit marked kicking about, so I thought I would show this one, marked to III (K)./LG 1 ( III./Lehrgeschwader ), which was a bomber unit tha

Default Luftwaffe Obergefreiter 4 pocket tunic for a Radio Op/Air Gunner in LG1

Not too many Other Ranks Luftwaffe tunics that are unit marked kicking about, so I thought I would show this one,
    marked to III (K)./LG 1 ( III./Lehrgeschwader ), which was a bomber unit that was heavily involved in the war in
    the Mediterranean theatre, and flew predominantly Ju 88's. They flew ops against Malta, Crete and also in north
    Africa (based at Derna for a while).

This one is piped for flight personnel, and has the rank of Obergefreiter, with 'Kreta' and 'Afrika' cuff titles, and was
    a reasonably recent pick up via the daughter of the US veteran who brought it back to the 'States as his memento
    of his service in Europe. The Marksman's lanyard is original to the tunic, I have added the ribbon bar and the SA
    sports badge only (and of course the cap and the belt). I tried a smaller ribbon bar and a DRL sports badge but that
    didn't look quite right to me, so changed the badge and ribbon bar to what is now on it. (the cloth Radio Op/Air Gunner
    badge is also wartime applied to the tunic). My guess is that this was probably the airman's best walking out jacket and
    was kept at home for special occasions, and was hardly worn.

Hope you like the photos

Cheers

Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Obergefreiter 4 pocket tunic for a Radio Op/Air Gunner in LG1   Luftwaffe Obergefreiter 4 pocket tunic for a Radio Op/Air Gunner in LG1  

Luftwaffe Obergefreiter 4 pocket tunic for a Radio Op/Air Gunner in LG1   Luftwaffe Obergefreiter 4 pocket tunic for a Radio Op/Air Gunner in LG1  

Luftwaffe Obergefreiter 4 pocket tunic for a Radio Op/Air Gunner in LG1   Luftwaffe Obergefreiter 4 pocket tunic for a Radio Op/Air Gunner in LG1  

Luftwaffe Obergefreiter 4 pocket tunic for a Radio Op/Air Gunner in LG1  
    Attached Images Attached Images Luftwaffe Obergefreiter 4 pocket tunic for a Radio Op/Air Gunner in LG1 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Obergefreiter 4 pocket tunic for a Radio Op/Air Gunner in LG1
    P
    Many

And how I now have it displayed with a couple of room mates....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Obergefreiter 4 pocket tunic for a Radio Op/Air Gunner in LG1   Luftwaffe Obergefreiter 4 pocket tunic for a Radio Op/Air Gunner in LG1  

Closer....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Obergefreiter 4 pocket tunic for a Radio Op/Air Gunner in LG1  

Changed the display slightly, more appropriate with a bronze bomber clasp (this one by Juncker), which is I think
    a better match for the period....

Cuff titles are just amazing...well the whole ensemble is. Love It !!

Wow this is unreal. What a collection. I hope to be there soon enough. Love it! Thanks for sharing these pictures.

Cheers,

Rockett

?

Stunning tunic and collection overall Bob!

These walking out tunics are very often the only things that have survived a soldier's service. One to treasure.

Regards, Paul