Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Luftwaffe sport shirt insignia?

Article about: Here is a picture of a Wehrmacht Sport insigna being worn during down time. It is a close shot of a series of pictures I own of a group of soldiers. Notice the drill uniforms on other soldie

hobbymaster001
    ?

Cool Luftwaffe sport shirt insignia?

Hello,
    Over the weekend I was at a thanksgiving party and my friends father invited me into his attic and said he had unburied something. I went up and he gave this to me. After much research I think it is a German Luftwaffe sport shirt insignia. I can't seem to find any information on what it was used for and what the year would be. Because it was in an attic for many years I would imagine it is original. Plus the fabric definately shows signs of wear and it is very very delicate feeling, almost like silk. Would this have been made out of wool or cotton usually and what year were these used in approximately? If anyone knows what this was used for that would be great also.

Thanks for the help in advance!!

I could not get a good picture with my camera so I threw it on my flatbed scanner. Definately seems to have worked better!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe sport shirt insignia?   Luftwaffe sport shirt insignia?  

Luftwaffe sport shirt insignia?  
    Last edited by hobbymaster001; 12-01-2008 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Pictures needed rotated, they were vertical, not horizontal...

2. # ADS

Default Re: Luftwaffe sport shirt insignia?

You are correct. It is a sports shirt insignia for the Luftwaffe. It is not made out of silk however. It should be heavy where the insignia is. Around the outside of the insignia it should be a very fine cotton that could be a little brittle from time and storage. They were used for basically the duration of the war for different things. Could be used for sport or also when in hospital recovering from wounds with rehabilitation. I have pictures of soldiers just sitting around a table in a bunker where one or a few of them are just wearing the sport shirt during downtime. Nice find and congratulations.

hobbymaster001
    ?

Quote by adlerfan53 View Post
    You are correct. It is a sports shirt insignia for the Luftwaffe. It is not made out of silk however. It should be heavy where the insignia is. Around the outside of the insignia it should be a very fine cotton that could be a little brittle from time and storage. They were used for basically the duration of the war for different things. Could be used for sport or also when in hospital recovering from wounds with rehabilitation. I have pictures of soldiers just sitting around a table in a bunker where one or a few of them are just wearing the sport shirt during downtime. Nice find and congratulations.
    It is definately heavy around the insignia and the outside is very delecate feeling. Those pictures, are they on the internet because I was looking for pictures of the emblem being worn by a german, and not a mannequin.

Here is a period photo along with mine.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe sport shirt insignia?   Luftwaffe sport shirt insignia?  

Quote by hobbymaster001 View Post
    Hello,
    Over the weekend I was at a thanksgiving party and my friends father invited me into his attic and said he had unburied something. I went up and he gave this to me. After much research I think it is a German Luftwaffe sport shirt insignia. I can't seem to find any information on what it was used for and what the year would be. Because it was in an attic for many years I would imagine it is original. Plus the fabric definately shows signs of wear and it is very very delicate feeling, almost like silk. Would this have been made out of wool or cotton usually and what year were these used in approximately? If anyone knows what this was used for that would be great also.

Thanks for the help in advance!!

I could not get a good picture with my camera so I threw it on my flatbed scanner. Definately seems to have worked better!
    Lucky you! Maybe your friends Father can dig deeper. Who knows what he might find.

hobbymaster001
    ?

Thanks a lot for the picture! I never thought it would look like a sporting event with all of the spectators. I dont know why but I imagined a group of guys playing sports in a field during downtime....

I can almost guarantee they have more WWII stuff but I dont think he wants to give it all to me (which is understandable) just in case his son suddenly decided he would like to inherit it someday. I do hope though heuncovers more relics though!

?

got this one about 20 years ago

?

the back of it

Quote by hobbymaster001 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the picture! I never thought it would look like a sporting event with all of the spectators. I dont know why but I imagined a group of guys playing sports in a field during downtime....
    They were often worn by troops undergoing rehab doing light sports training after recovering from wounds. So the situation you imagined was correct too.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by colt45 View Post
    got this one about 20 years ago
    Nice Adler. Never saw one with the stamp on it. Is the olympic pin attached to the insignia? I know some vets returned home with different things pinned to the bring back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast