Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Named Artillery walking out tunic

Article about: I have this named Artillery Officers walking out tunic and it has a name, date and Feld post number but it is written in Sutterlin and I cannot decypher the name. Does anyone read or maybe h

Default Named Artillery walking out tunic

I have this named Artillery Officers walking out tunic and it has a name, date and Feld post number but it is written in Sutterlin and I cannot decypher the name.

Does anyone read or maybe help with the name!

Thanks in advance to all
    David
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Named Artillery walking out tunic  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Named Artillery walking out tunic
    P
    Many

Hi all

Does anyone know who this name could be, I have received the tunic today and would like to find out the name and maybe more about the man who wore it.

Thanks
    Dave

TWS
    ?

Hi Dave,

Despite speaking/reading German, I struggle with Sütterlinschrift too. I'm thinking he purchased the tunic as an officer candidate (common occurrence) and was a Fähnrich (Fhr) at that time. I cannot make out the last name. First letter looks like a capital "S" in Sütterlin and third letter a lower case "h", so like so many German names his probably started with Sch.

The number is unfortunately not a Feldpostnummer. That's a tracking/order/invoice number from the tailor.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Hi Todd

Thanks for the reply and the comment, I have a friend who does read Sütterlinschrift...he thinks the surname could be Schinnis/Schinner

Havent found anything about him on Traces of War website, so not sure if he won any distinctive awards...has the EK2 ribbon and loop on pocket for one award.

Thanks again as much appreciated.
    Dave

?

Hi David,
    you could also try posting it in the Militaria Fundforum (a German forum), there may be some there that are more familiar?

Another possibility is that it isn't Sutterlin at all, but actually Kurrentschrift, also used during the period:-

Kurrent - Wikipedia

I have attached a picture of a period Feldherrnhalle cuffband that appears to use Kurrentschrift rather than Sutterlin (though they are related, actually predating Sutterlin). Note the upper case "F" of Feldherrnhalle etc.

I think Schinnis is a good possibility?

Regards, Paul

PS - Any chance of seeing the whole tunic?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Named Artillery walking out tunic   Named Artillery walking out tunic  

TWS
    ?

Quote by SS soldat View Post
    Hi Todd

Thanks for the reply and the comment, I have a friend who does read Sütterlinschrift...he thinks the surname could be Schinnis/Schinner

Havent found anything about him on Traces of War website, so not sure if he won any distinctive awards...has the EK2 ribbon and loop on pocket for one award.

Thanks again as much appreciated.
    Dave
    You are very welcome and I agree with your friend's guess as to the whole name. Looks that way to me too.
    I have a German friend who I sometimes tap to help me but since he was never taught it in school either, he sometimes in turn enlists the help of his elderly aunt before getting back to me.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

Hi Dave,

To Paul’s point, using a chart like this is the best way to try and decipher these (outside of someone you know who is adept at reading this script). I’ve done the same in the past with uniforms; the charts can be extremely helpful. You may have to reference several as different styles were used at the time, and you’ll often see people writing in combinations of styles which can make things more difficult.

Best regards,

Jason