Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help. Great Uncle in Wehrmacht Uniform.

Article about: Hi all, please help me identify branch and grade of my great uncle in his Wehrmacht uniform. It was always thought that he was a regular infantry man or civil defense. But this - at least to

Default Need Help. Great Uncle in Wehrmacht Uniform.

Hi all, please help me identify branch and grade of my great uncle in his Wehrmacht uniform. It was always thought that he was a regular infantry man or civil defense. But this - at least to my untrained eye- looks like something different. Many thanks, sam

p.s. We think he did most of his service in Austria/northern Italy
    Attached Images Attached Images Need Help.  Great Uncle in Wehrmacht Uniform. 
    Last edited by sambordi; 10-03-2014 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Reposting Photo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need Help.  Great Uncle in Wehrmacht Uniform.
    P
    Many

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    Please have a read here and this will allow you to post photos properly so that we are able to view them in a larger format.
    This will enable us to help you better.
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/heer-...uncements.html
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks Ralph. I've reposted, following your instructions.

Welcome to the forum! Your great uncle is wearing a Heer(Army)waffenrock, a uniform worn for parade and walking out dress. It has no outer pockets and is easily identified. The insignia would indicate that he was likely a private or corpral when the photo was taken. The branch of service would be indicated by the color of the piping on his shoulder boards, front verticval edge of the tunic and on the visor cap. The piping is dark so he was not in the infantry which utilized white piping. Without a color photo, it would be impossible to tell branch of the Heer he served in.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks Bob. Very helpful. Unfortunately, there is no color photo, so that's all we have to go on. If it's not infantry, any hunch what else it could be (dark piping)? thanks again, sam.

Black is for Pioniere/Combat engineers, Red is for Artillery...then there are multiple shades of Green and other colors representing the various other branches...
    cheers, Glenn

Next to infantry, the next largest formations in. the German Army was artillery. As Glenn mentioned, the choices are vast unless you have any of his personal paperwork, the rest will always be conjecture. Do you have any other pictures of him in uniform? There could possibly clues found in trade patches or decorations.
    BOB

If the photos are posted in a larger format, the shoulder board slip ons may give a clue.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks again all for the feedback. And, yeah Bob, I've found another of same uncle (with outer pockets, chain, and 3 vertical bar , right side) - not sure whether this is earlier or later, but I'm guessing later. Any insight most appreciated.

thanks, sam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Help.  Great Uncle in Wehrmacht Uniform.  

The current photo shows your uncle as a NCO wearing a whistle lanyard and what appears to be a ribbon bar indicating award of the Iron Cross 2nd Class and another award, possibly the War Service Cross 2nd Class With Swords. Unfortunately, the left breast pocket is not visible which would likely had an award that would have possibly narrowed down the possible branch of service he was in.
    BOB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast