Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

NEED HELP identifying medals and sleeve designations

Article about: The attached photo is a family photo of what appears to be a wedding. I am interested in anything that can be found on the uniforms in particular the medallion on the second from right and t

Default NEED HELP identifying medals and sleeve designations

The attached photo is a family photo of what appears to be a wedding. I am interested in anything that can be found on the uniforms in particular the medallion on the second from right and the sleeve markings from the far right solider. Any information will be appreciated.NEED HELP identifying medals and sleeve designations

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NEED HELP identifying medals and sleeve designations
    P
    Many

Default re: NEED HELP identifying medals and sleeve designations

They are standing outside a building that has a master tailor for both military and civilian clothing apparently. It looks to be a photo from between the wars judging by the uniforms and women's clothing - late 20s - to early 30s? Who can help with insignia? NH

All are wearing the uniform of the German Army dorn during the Weimar period. I can not tell the ranks on anyone but your Uncle August who is a private first class. All are enlisted or NCO rank as they are wearing rectangular buckles. The unidentified man second from right is wearing what is possibly some form of shooting award. Without better detail, it is likely impossible to identify what it is exactly.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Fred Green
    ?

Hello,

Your Uncle August is a gefreiter with the lowest grade of shooting award on his lower left sleeve. He also wears a DRA sports badge on his left upper front pocket. The man to his right is a Non Commissioned officer. You can tell by the tress on his collar.

Fred

Default Re: NEED HELP identifying medals and sleeve designations

Thanks for the quick reply. That information was very helpful. The help with the DRA sports badge confirms that most of her fathers relatives have similar badges. The meaning of the rectangular buckles was something I was not aware of. I forgot to attached a second photo of Uncle Walter. What information can be learned from his uniform.NEED HELP identifying medals and sleeve designations

Fred Green
    ?

Uncle Walter is a Policeman with an SA sports award.

Fred

The cap he is wearing indicates that he was an officer. This would also be indicated by the shoulder straps but the detail can not be seen in this picture to determine his rank.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks so much for your replies. I can now add another bit to our family history.