Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need help Identifying Officer Tunic Markings

Article about: I've had this tunic for over 10 years, but never really looked at the markings on the inside until lately!! Can anyone help explain or identify these markings?? The numbers are sizes, I beli

Default Need help Identifying Officer Tunic Markings

I've had this tunic for over 10 years, but never really looked at the markings on the inside until lately!! Can anyone help explain or identify these markings?? The numbers are sizes, I believe. There is a name above the numbers---looks like GW Post or something like that. There is also a large number "5" below the sets of numbers--kind of hard to see, but its there. ALL of the medals on the tunic have the original loops sewn into the tunic--so this guy had a lot of medals! I think it is a Colonel in the Artillery tunic. I know the medals/accessories are probably in the wrong places, but they look good displayed!

The pants did NOT come with the tunic, but they matched well, so I bought them. Are they original German?? I've posted pics of the markings in the pants as well (the ones with the number 36, 45, 68, and the letter "R" in the square are the markings on the pants). Any info would be greatly appreciated! thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help Identifying Officer Tunic Markings   Need help Identifying Officer Tunic Markings  

Need help Identifying Officer Tunic Markings   Need help Identifying Officer Tunic Markings  

Need help Identifying Officer Tunic Markings  
    Attached Images Attached Images Need help Identifying Officer Tunic Markings  Need help Identifying Officer Tunic Markings  Need help Identifying Officer Tunic Markings  Need help Identifying Officer Tunic Markings  Need help Identifying Officer Tunic Markings  Need help Identifying Officer Tunic Markings 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help Identifying Officer Tunic Markings
    P
    Many

Default Re: Need help Identifying Officer Tunic Markings

Can't say anything about the markings, but...

For one, the Iron Cross 1st class should be from WWI
    and not a 1939 edition.

There is also a Dress bayonet on the end of the rifle.

I'd like to see the other two big awards.
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 06-25-2010 at 03:06 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

I know about those things. I put the bayonet on there just because. Also, the EK1 spange is repro, as well as the German cross and Knights cross. I cannot afford a wwI EK1. I am just trying to find out about the markings. I mainly added the pics of the pockets so people could see the stitching because evidently it has something to do with the model of uniform...

Quote by excalibr View Post
    I know about those things. I put the bayonet on there just because. Also, the EK1 spange is repro, as well as the German cross and Knights cross. I cannot afford a wwI EK1. I am just trying to find out about the markings. I mainly added the pics of the pockets so people could see the stitching because evidently it has something to do with the model of uniform...
    Ok, sorry Excalibr !
    I see, they're just for the display aspect.

There are quite a few guys here who know about these tunics
    who can help you out.

I'll get out of the way...
    Regards,

Steve.

Yes, they are for display. I just had the bayonet laying around on the shelf, so I figured if it would fit on the rifle, I'll put it there. Unfortunately, until I win the lottery, I will have to live with the repro Knights cross, German cross, and EK1 spange--as well as a WWI EK1... would love to have them, but I don't have the money... thanks

This is an Enlisted mans tunic which has been proffesionaly tailor converted to an Officers blouse for field service wear. This was a popular option for many Officers.

The 5 size stamps are conventional. Beneath that is a depot stamp, M38.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade! That helps. What about the name above the size markings---do you think that is the taylors' name, or the owner of the tunic? Also, does the number '5' mean anything? That depot stamp (it is M39 actually--it's hard to see on the picture), does that mean in was made in 1939? Does the "M" stand for Munich? I've seen some that were stamped B34 or something like that and the "B" means Berlin. I just want to find out as much as possible. Ultimately wanting to try to find out the name of the guy who wore this tunic--he was a high ranking officer--Colonel. Finally, any opinions on the pants? thanks

Bill

?

yes, M39 is for Bekleidungsamt of Munich, made in 1939.
    which color of piping is on colar tabs and shoulderboards ?

The color is red---I beileve for Artillery. I would like to get as much info as possible as I am possibly trying to get a name of the guy who owned this. With it being a high ranking officer (Colonel) that would narrow down the search as I am sure there were fewer Colonels than say Captains, Lt, etc. I am really wanting to know if the pants are German and if so, what the markings mean. I am also wanting to know if anyone recognizes the name? or whatever is in the Gothic style writing above the size markings on the tunic! thanks for your info!

Bill