MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Need help identifying these uniforms

Article about: Hi, Hoping you can help me identify these uniforms. Thanks

Default Need help identifying these uniforms

Hi,
    Hoping you can help me identify these uniforms.
    Thanks

Need help identifying these uniformsNeed help identifying these uniforms

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help identifying these uniforms
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Curiousgirl,

Others with more knowledge will be around shortly. The uniform on the right picture is an M40 Fliegerbluse with the rank of Feldwebel (Sargeant). Although the left colar tab is missing one of the wings. I can not tell the color of the colar tab which would denote what branch of service he was in (Flak, Signals, etc)

He has a black wound badge (lowest grade) and has been awarded the Iron Cross 2nd Class (ribbon in button hole).

As noted, others will be around to comment on the 1st picture.

From an earlier post, it appears that this is your father? Correct?

Welcome to War Relics Forum.

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Also, I could guess on the smocks that are being worn in the first picture but not 100% so will wait for others.

But in your other post you noted that you thought he was in the HG division. This appears to be possible. Posting this for others to hopefully see and comment on.

Another note, you father is wearing an M40 side cap. the soldier on the left is wearing an M43 cap, thus this 1st picture was taking in 1943 or after.

Regards,

Michael

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Others with more knowledge will be around shortly. The uniform on the right picture is an M40 Fliegerbluse with the rank of Feldwebel (Sargeant). Although the left colar tab is missing one of the wings. I can not tell the color of the colar tab which would denote what branch of service he was in (Flak, Signals, etc)

He has a black wound badge (lowest grade) and has been awarded the Iron Cross 2nd Class (ribbon in button hole).
    Sorry, but the rank is Obergefreiter.

(A Feldwebel would have also worn three wings, but in combination with collar Tresse; also note the private ranks' shoulder boards.)

As for the group photo: The man on the left and the one in the center wear the Windjacken [wind jackets] issued for mountain service. The one on the right has the jacket from the Tarnanzug [camouflage uniform] introduced in 1942.

MAP
    ?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Sorry, but the rank is Obergefreiter.

(A Feldwebel would have also worn three wings, but in combination with collar Tresse; also note the private ranks' shoulder boards.)
    Correct. Realized last night (Late late late last night) that I missed the "missing" Tresse on the collar. Was going to correct this morning. Thanks for beating me to it.

Curiousgirl: This rank is equivalent to Senior Lance-Corporal. Hope this helps provide a bit more information on your father.

Regards,

Michael

hello and welcome,I guess the guys have said it all.

- - ------- - -

hello and welcome,I guess the guys have said it all.

Thank you for your help so far. Dad is 90 now and in hospital preparing for his final trip. He was born in Werschetz, Banat, Yugolsavia in 1924 and was sent to a Military school when he was 10 because he was a juvenile delinquent. He never saw his family again. His father was sent to a Russian gulag for selling the Germans brandy, his mother died when the house was bombed, his sister committed suicide after being gang raped by Russian soldiers. I have a photo of his brother's grave but have not had much success identifying where it is.
    Need help identifying these uniforms

Dad has told me many stories over the years and, foolishly, I didn't write them down. I know he was a pilot and got shot down a number of times. He was in the HG unit and got transferred around a lot. He flew the Messerschmidt 109, the JU 57, the JU52 and the Henkle 86 or 87( I can't read my own writing). I know he surrendered to the Americans and was recruited by the OSS. He did a couple of photographic missions for them in Russia and was caught and sent to a Gulag. The first time he escaped, it was in the camp commandant's car which he had rebuilt for her. (she was a White Russian). He got 400 km toward Moscow and got caught. This time a life sentence. He managed to escape again by hitting a guard with a shovel. He hit him with the blade by mistake and killed him. He walked for a year from the Ural mountains south and finally got to Austria where he was stabbed by a pitchfork wielding farmer getting some hay for his livestock. They thought he was an escapee from the local asylum until he got them to call the Americans. While waiting to be picked up the Frau fed him. He hadn't had real food in a very long time. He went into shock an woke up in an American hospital. He weighed 89 lbs. Recovery took about 6 months. The US offered to relocate him anywhere in the world. He was afraid of being drafted by the US so he chose Canada.

I have his Landed Immigrant papers but can find no record of the ship listed ever landing in Halifax. It was the Nelly and sailed from Augsberg.

Dad went back to the old country about 30 years ago and couldn't find anyone except two cousins who gave him the photos I have posted. He thinks the OSS/CIA 'erased' him. I remember getting odd phone calls where the speaker would say one word - apple. Dad would rush for the phone and shoo me out of the room.

In closing until next time, any information you all can provide will be treasured.

I almost forgot - he ended up a Lt. in the Luftwaffe.
    Last edited by Jerry B; 08-23-2014 at 08:46 PM.