Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Need some help on this Tropical/DAK Tunic

Article about: No Problem.. And I would be equally interested in seeing any of the 60's and 70's movie props that you spoke of..

I'd be very interested in seeing numerous in theatre made tunics from WW 2 , especially the Tropical/DAK Tunics that you mention, as I do not remember seeing a single example in 15 years of studying DAK/Tropical tunics.

What exactly do your long time collector buddies collect?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need some help on this Tropical/DAK Tunic
    P
    Many

Quote by Anon View Post
    You asked for opinions and if you would rather listen to those others who gave you the answers you wanted to hear, then believe them, but it is a one looker movie prop copy from the 1960's or 70's. It is circa 50 or 60 years old, but it is still a fake.
    Totally agree no chance. timothy

?

First, I would like to thank all involved with War Relics. Since I have joined, up to this point, I have been treated with the utmost respect and courtesy. Believe me, I respect everyone’s opinion, and your expertise and input has saved me money in this expensive hobby.
    I’m not saying that I believe one opinion over another. I am on this forum to learn and ask questions and hope to maybe get some tips in this hobby or convince me with their knowledge and experience.
    I had no intention to “show up” anyone or to put anyone on the defensive.

But I did not expect to read the reasoning and sharp answers to
    what I believe, to be completely legitimate questions.
    I do not believe “my buddies” just because, “it’s what I wanted to hear. “
    I never said they were my buddies. I said they were collectors, both experienced in Military Uniforms (in general) and another in German uniforms.
    In past posts, I have believed War Relic members, although I wished they were wrong. But they at least, did not become defensive and “took the time” to answer my questions and convince me to their reasoning. If this is not a forum to ask “follow up questions” or tough questions… Please tell me.

I have seen German tunics, on the internet, memorabilia shows and other Forum’s (that specialize on the topic of Tropical/DAK Tunics) that were made in German occupied countries and photos of other tunic, where soldiers have altered or had private tailors’ make their tunics.

All I wanted to ask, was my previous question about the “no-glow” material and thread reaction to a black light on a “Movie Prop”. I also want to ask the possible reasoning for removing the breast eagle, and the possibility of an In-theatre made or private purchased tunic.
    If you do not know , that would be perfectly fine.
    Or “ that’s an interesting question.”

'glow' is a meaningless and worthless diagnostic technique. The german garment industry pioneered synthetic fabric dyes in the 19th century - they were in widespread use then and durinng WW I & II, many aspects of unifioms have some synthetic dyes that 'glow' under UV light. I have very good scientific article on the subject id PDF format, if you are interested PM me and I'll send you a copy.
    Last edited by asterperious; 05-01-2014 at 04:48 AM.

Totally agree with Obal7. This is a forum for questions. He asked good questions and is getting allot of attitude. Also after collecting military for over 25 years you realize that nothing can be counted out.

?

Hi...
    Thanks for the post and the offer.. Yes, very interested..
    I will PM you

Obal7 sorry you just have to face the fact this is what it is its a film prop tunic ,cotton thread has been used for years wartime and post war so it isnt something to count on if it glows or not ,The eagle may have been taken off years ago and whoever sold this to you may have put a new eagle back on to make it sell better ,The collar patchs and shoulder boards are fake znd the cut of the tunic is wrong what more do you need to know ,There is alot of years of knowledge and experience on this forum and it will save you money ,The best thing you can do with this tunic is return it to the guy you brought it from for a refund

I am not sure where exactly the attitude was in the responses given, you asked for opinions, they were given, then you come back with the same question, is it real and the answer is still no, for the reasons previously given, if that is attitude, then what else can I say.

Glow free thread is easy to get and anything made so far back is likely to have old thread to hand. Everything about it is not standard period made, the construction, the finer details of the cut, the boards, the insignia is all known fakes with the collar tabs absolutely typical of early post war movie prop types.

Again I ask, if you can show examples of the same type of non standard original DAK tunics from the period I would be really happy to see them and study them.

You have been given opinions here and from other sources, it is up to you to decide who to listen to and to act accordingly.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Thank you gentlemen for the info and the spirited conversation!
    I respect your expertise and still intend to ask your opinion in the future.
    I hope there are no hard feelings..
    It's time to move on...

Quote by Obal7 View Post
    Thank you gentlemen for the info and the spirited conversation!
    I respect your expertise and still intend to ask your opinion in the future.
    I hope there are no hard feelings..
    It's time to move on...

Glad to hear it and if I came over as a bit abrupt, or with attitude, that was unintentional.

I'd still be very interested in seeing any field made DAK tunics that you found during your research if possible.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast