Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need some help on this Tropical/DAK Tunic

Article about: No Problem.. And I would be equally interested in seeing any of the 60's and 70's movie props that you spoke of..

?

Default Need some help on this Tropical/DAK Tunic

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum and recently picked up a, what I believe is a WW2 Tropical/DAK Tunic. I purchased this from an old WW2 Vet, who wanted to sell off some of his souvenirs from the war. I have read many of this forum posts and have been researching German Tunics in general. Although I am new to German Tunics, it apparently looks original, except possibly the restoration of the breast eagle (the thread on the stitching on the restoration is the only glow on the entire Tunic (pieces of the old thread is still present). The tread on the collar Litzen, shoulder epaulets and everywhere else on the jacket does not glow.and seems to be on the Tunic for a long time). I could not, at this point , find any stamps, sizing or any other identifying markings (unless they were washed or faded out). Inside the lower left pocket was a worn faded tag, and in the bottom of the right chest pocket, an old piece of a cigarette and tobacco..
    If I can get any help/opinions on identifying the type of Tunic, Unit markings, originality, suggestions, comments etc.. it would be appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need some help on this Tropical/DAK Tunic   Need some help on this Tropical/DAK Tunic  

Need some help on this Tropical/DAK Tunic   Need some help on this Tropical/DAK Tunic  

Need some help on this Tropical/DAK Tunic   Need some help on this Tropical/DAK Tunic  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need some help on this Tropical/DAK Tunic
    P
    Many

I may be wrong but not liking the look of this tunic ,looks like one of the film prop tunics from the 1970s

?

It may stand a chance. I'm sure a DAK or tropical uniform expert will chime in. I wish you good luck, and welcome to the forum.
    Dean.

only thing I can add, never seen collar tabs like these shown, and did panzer grenadier exist at May 43? correct me hey ?

Hi Rene it was the collar tabs and cut of the tunic that made me think it was a film prop tunic , i have seen these collar patches before on a film prop tunic from the 1970s also with the lack of field dressing pocket and reinforcement lining around the inside of the arms and collars normally found on these tunics ,also the buttons are normally removable ones on metal clips which this tunic lacks

Got to go with Kradman and Rene on this one usually not negative but those colar tabs are unlike any I have seen that are original only owned one Original DAK tunic back in 79 and it looked nothing like this in color construction etc. It had removable buttons with the split ring, and tabs were not like these came with a set of original tabs, breast eagle had been removed and only stictching remained it had regular shoulder boards and it came from POW camp here in the US. As I said nothing like this one from my memory. timothy

?

Guys.. thanks for your honest opinions...Yes, there are a few red flags.. it looks nice, but as was stated.. it may be a movie prop. Luckily I didn't pay much for it.

It is a movie prop, the eagle is a fake and is the type often seen on these from the 70's, as are the printed collar tabs. I have a pair of the tabs somewhere in my house.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thank you for everybody's input, opinions and expertise.
    After showing this tunic to a couple of long time collectors and I would also consider, if not experts, very trained eyes on this subject. The question came up that "Why would a movie prop use all old material and thread that does not glow under a black light." Also, "why would a movie prop, have it's breast eagle removed and another one replaced... with the old no glow thread still present?" After physically examining this tunic a long time collector opined that this could be an "in theatre made" Tunic. Through research and looking at numerous in theatre made tunics from WW 2 , especially the Tropical/DAK Tunics, they were quite similar ( and some, not as well made as this tunic). The collar tabs, shoulder epaulettes and buttons seem similar, sewn with no glow thread? Why would buttons be sewn on with no glowing thread? I have seen Tunics without the field dressing pockets.
    I am not doubting, all of your opinions..I respect your views, knowledge and expertise... but these are some questions that cast some doubt that it is not a movie prop.. and is in fact a legitimate , possible an "in theatre " made tunic.
    Any comments would be greatly appreciated..

You asked for opinions and if you would rather listen to those others who gave you the answers you wanted to hear, then believe them, but it is a one looker movie prop copy from the 1960's or 70's. It is circa 50 or 60 years old, but it is still a fake.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast