Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Obergefreiter stripes and a decoration (plus misc other stuff)

Article about: Another batch, posted here because the most identifiable valuable stuff looks German to me: My untrained eye sees three Obergefreiter chevrons at top, one upside down, no idea what else thos

JKK
    ?

Default Obergefreiter stripes and a decoration (plus misc other stuff)

Another batch, posted here because the most identifiable valuable stuff looks German to me:Obergefreiter stripes and a decoration (plus misc other stuff)

My untrained eye sees three Obergefreiter chevrons at top, one upside down, no idea what else those tell us about branch of service or anything else. Maybe US$12 each?

Two pins, one on cardboard backing, not enough detail to know. Three C Co. 14th Infantry US branch collar insigna, officer, one subdued and one not. I doubt those are worth much.

Some cheap-looking chromed badge with frustratingly poor detail.

Lower middle right by itself: a decoration ribbon with a horizontal stripe, which is highly uncommon in my search of world ribbons. I guessed it was some form of civilian German award, since it doesn't show up on any image of military decorations that I found. No idea.

Lower middle: some medallion, perhaps the pendant of a medal minus its suspending ribbon. No idea.

Lower left: perhaps a German marksmanship badge?

Lower right: three ribbons on a rack that look US but do not show up on any list of US decorations ever issued, unless so badly faded that I'm looking for the wrong thing. Didn't find them on any other nation's ribbons either.

Ongoing thanks. The forum is an enormous help, plus a pretty good sense of humor.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Obergefreiter stripes and a decoration (plus misc other stuff)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Obergefreiter stripes and a decoration (plus misc other stuff)
    P
    Many

Chromed badge is probably police, the odd ribbon might be from a min version, the middle medal looks to be weight lifting? and the medal at left is probably marksman but not German I think.

One of the chevrons looks to have 3 stripes, so one up from obergefreiter, stabs gefreiter from an earlier period perhaps, or later as I can't remember which way round they ran, early with extra stripe and later with pip or vice versa.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by JKK View Post
    Lower middle right by itself: a decoration ribbon with a horizontal stripe, which is highly uncommon in my search of world ribbons. I guessed it was some form of civilian German award, since it doesn't show up on any image of military decorations that I found. No idea.
    It's a U.S. decoration. This is the Merchant Marine Combat Bar instituted in 1943.

Quote by JKK View Post
    Lower left: perhaps a German marksmanship badge?.
    No; also U.S. It's the (now obsolete) Sharpshooter Badge.

Quote by JKK View Post
    Lower right: three ribbons on a rack that look US but do not show up on any list of US decorations ever issued, unless so badly faded that I'm looking for the wrong thing. Didn't find them on any other nation's ribbons either.
    Again, U.S. Merchant Marine. From left to right: Pacific War Zone Bar, Mediterranean Middle East War Zone Bar, Atlantic War Zone Bar.

As for the rank insigne with the 3 chevrons: Three chevrons were worn by the rank of Obergefreiter up until 1936, when the rank insignia were revised.
    However, the photo is so poor that they might be (faded) yellow on dark blue. If that is the case, they are Navy, rather than Army, and for the rank of Obergefreiter [up until 1936] Oberstabsmatrose [up until 1938] or Hauptgefreiter [final].

JKK
    ?

Amazing, and thanks, HPL2008. I didn't even know our merchant marine had decorations, though considering the harm's way it went into, it deserved plenty.

Quote by JKK View Post
    Amazing, and thanks, HPL2008. I didn't even know our merchant marine had decorations, though considering the harm's way it went into, it deserved plenty.
    Had, and still has, actually. Have a look here for an overview:

Merchant Marine Emblem, Medals and Ribbons