Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Period or East German post war?

Article about: Hi all. Please help me with this. Is this a period piece or is it a post war East German sample? I think post war. Thanks for any info. Tom

Default Period or East German post war?

Hi all. Please help me with this. Is this a period piece or is it a post war East German sample? I think post war.
    Thanks for any info.
    Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Period or East German post war?   Period or East German post war?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Period or East German post war?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Period or East German post war?

Hi Tom, it is a good wartime peice.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade. So the info I had about there usually being a zig zag stitching to the rear is unfounded?
    Tom

Hi Tom, the zig-zag stitching on the reverse (found on some straps but by no means all) came about from thrifty manufacturers using up off cut scraps of uniform material. They machined these scraps together to make usuable sized bits, ideal for shoulder straps. Going back 30 years, this used to be a fair indication of an original strap. Of course, this no longer applies now. The fakers latched onto this and now produce straps with the stitching: sometimes though it is just a line of stitching and does not actually secure two peices of cloth together.

Note also the diamond pattern on the silver NCO's tresse. The NVA tresse is different.

Cheers, Ade.

Here to illustrate the point is a well used Pz Gren strap from my collection. You can just see how the reverse is made from two peices of material.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Period or East German post war?  

Thanks Ade. I looked at the tresse and saw them to be alright, but wasn't sure if they used this type after the war as well. The other thing that worried me about the tresse is that they don't go all the way to the end of the strap, but I now know that to be of no consequence. I just double checked mine, which all have the stitching on the back, and I see what you mean about two separate pieces. I hope the guy who has this will sell it to me. He has a few other goodies that I still would like confirmation on, but I'll post them later. Thanks again Ade
    Tom