Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is this pilots badge real?

Article about: Hey Guys, I was wondering if anyone knew if this pilots badge was real. It looks like an FLL to me but the wings dont seem cut out enough. Any info would be appreciated Cheers, Shaneos3

shaneos3
    ?

Smile Is this pilots badge real?

Hey Guys, I was wondering if anyone knew if this pilots badge was real. It looks like an FLL to me but the wings dont seem cut out enough. Any info would be appreciated

Cheers, Shaneos3
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this pilots badge real?   Is this pilots badge real?  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Is this pilots badge real?

Hello, Shaneos3 and welcome to the forums!

It almost looks like the left wing is larger than the right.

But I know little regarding this badge but you will get good answers soon.

Hi
    And welcome to the forum.

Ok I think you know what's coming

Impossible to make a call on the badge based on 2 pictures. At first look. it appears to be a good one. To me the only red flags are the engraving and rivet area ........at the moment.

To judge if it is good, you will need to photograph it in
    a) daylight
    b) detailed catch and pin area
    c) exact weight and measurements
    d) Straight photographs, and not angled

Based on those photos, I would say it was NOT an FLL.

shaneos3
    ?

Thank-you very much for your feedback John,
    If not an FLL, did any other manufacturers use block hinges? The badge weighs 53.4 grams and here are daylight photos. I have an observers badge with an identical wreath that I assume is a jewelers replica as it seems in too good condition for the age and is 800 stamped (the guy I bought them off said the observers badge was unissued), which is why I am trying to find out if its real. My theory is that if one of the badges is fake then they are both fake. Although why someone would make a replica that would cost as much as an original is beyond me. Any more information you could provide would be appreciated.

Cheers, Shaneos3
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this pilots badge real?   Is this pilots badge real?  

Is this pilots badge real?   Is this pilots badge real?  

Is this pilots badge real?  

There's no way I will make a call on this one, its just too specialized and i ain't that special

The weight is not overly heavy for a jewellers piece, but i cannot find the hardware in any of my books, not that that will prove anything. They look good, but is the German "true" German language, or is it an English interpretation?

They're good, I'll say that, hopefully someone else will chip in

Ok. after careful consideration and study of the pictures, I do honestly believe given the weight, and dimensions that both of these badges are wartime made, however the inscription has been added later, as this is not the correct type faced script.

Come on guys, shoot me down

Hi there,as you say the wing tips arn't cut in enough,another questionable area is the catch. It appears way to thick to be an FLL. Stewy S

Quote by Stewy S View Post
    Hi there,as you say the wing tips arn't cut in enough,another questionable area is the catch. It appears way to thick to be an FLL. Stewy S
    Hi Stew, That was my thoughts about the catch However, I have just purchased a Lufty Alloy wreath Radio op/gunner with the same catch assembly. And I know this is a good badge, it is also unmarked.

Agreed John,it could just be the pic angle. Design suggests a buntmetal FLL,if anything. This is indeed a tough call. Stewy S

shaneos3
    ?

Thanks to all of you for your feedback. Philbrown-What does a correct type faced script look like? ? I would love to see a pic of Johns Radio op/gunner badge with similar catch if possible.

Regards
    Shaneos3

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast