Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Recon/cavalry - any comments and readings recommended?

Article about: Good evening everybody, A small overview of my cavalry/recon officers’ boards collection. What do you think? Also, has anybody good recommendations for further readings about the cavalry and

?

Thanks Todd, that explains a lot to me. Hope to see your shoulder strap display in the near future. Thanks, Al

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Recon/cavalry - any comments and readings recommended?
    P
    Many

Hi Aldo, I have checked the boards and can confirm that the prongs for the skulls are not apparent. It seems like the skulls have been mounted on the braid before the braid was sewn toghether with the underlay.

Very interesting thread
    It's completely out of my area of collecting but still Very interesting.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

TWS
    ?

Quote by Aldo View Post
    Thanks Todd, that explains a lot to me. Hope to see your shoulder strap display in the near future. Thanks, Al
    Hi Aldo,
    Here's a quick and sloppy view of my riker mount with the earlier pointed shoulder straps. The officer candidate pair at the bottom have the ghost of chain-stitched "3" on them and the Feldwebel pair in the top row have the ghost of "71". You can see I have three pieces from the era when the straps were made of Feldgrau cloth and the pair (lower right) are even piped black for Pionier, but all others do not carry branch piping. The branch color would be reflected in the color of the chain-stitched unit number (if surviving the order to pick out the unit numbers).

Recon/cavalry - any comments and readings recommended?Recon/cavalry - any comments and readings recommended?Recon/cavalry - any comments and readings recommended?Recon/cavalry - any comments and readings recommended?Recon/cavalry - any comments and readings recommended?
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

Thanks for the visual reference and explanation. Nice collection !

On a related topic and to come back to my collection. I have three pairs of shoulder boards with copperbrown underlay and with the unit numbers 3, 7 and 8. Could anyone shed more light on what units they think these boards are from? I understand that motorcycle troops (ie Kradmelder) had different Waffenfarbe according to the unit they were attached to, and that some bicycle troops have worn copperbrown Waffenfarbe at some point but I have the impression that there is a lot of confusion with regard to when this colour has been worn and by whom.
    Thanks a lot in advance!

TWS
    ?

Quote by Phil9790 View Post
    On a related topic and to come back to my collection. I have three pairs of shoulder boards with copperbrown underlay and with the unit numbers 3, 7 and 8. Could anyone shed more light on what units they think these boards are from? I understand that motorcycle troops (ie Kradmelder) had different Waffenfarbe according to the unit they were attached to, and that some bicycle troops have worn copperbrown Waffenfarbe at some point but I have the impression that there is a lot of confusion with regard to when this colour has been worn and by whom.
    Thanks a lot in advance!
    Could you post photos? Kradmelder meant dispatch rider (on a motorcycle). Motorcycle troops were called Kradschützen.

Copper brown (Kupferbraun) was also introduced in 1939 for reconnaissance units but was unpopular and quickly discontinued and units which had switched from the (mostly/typically) Goldgelb switched back - although it appears due to supply difficulties recon troops in the Afrika Korps tended to hold onto those straps and boards longer. That short intermission also contributed to the confusion that you rightly referred to.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

My mistake. I meant of course Kradschützen. Here are some pictures. There are even different colour tones for the underlays.
    Recon/cavalry - any comments and readings recommended?Recon/cavalry - any comments and readings recommended?Recon/cavalry - any comments and readings recommended?Recon/cavalry - any comments and readings recommended?Recon/cavalry - any comments and readings recommended?Recon/cavalry - any comments and readings recommended?
    Last edited by Phil9790; 06-10-2019 at 07:45 PM.

TWS
    ?

Phil, those are some gorgeous officer boards!

It's likely that each pair of boards is from an officer in the Kradschützen-Bataillon of that respective number. Krad battalions were organized as separate battalions so the number is for battalion and not for regiment. When using Kupferbraun, the "K" device was usually not used like it was when they wore pink Waffenfarbe plus a "K" on the straps and boards. I say likely because of the short-lived foray into Kupferbraun by the recon units, and the bicycle battalions of motorized infantry divisions (with an "R" plus the number on the board/strap). To do a deep dive, you can open up Angolia and Schlicht volume 1 and go through the branch color section. They provide a year by year breakdown by color and you can follow each color over the years.

As you already know, a simple explanation eludes us, but the full complexity (for the most part) is detailed in Angolia and Schlicht. Edwards and Pruett also spend some time in their books on the uniforms of the armored forces trying to shed some light on the subject.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Hi Todd, would you have the full name of the Angolia and Schlicht book?
    Thanks a lot in advance.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast