Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

rittmeister of 5th cavalry regiment Feldmarschall von Mackensen

Article about: Hello Friends I found this feldbluse in Austria many years ago from private person “non collector”, with the original attached the cuff title, the seams of decorations, with shoulder boards

Fred Green
    ?

Default Re: rittmeister of 5th cavalry regiment Feldmarschall von Mackensen

Hello Franz,

This cufftitle was made so late in the war that not many are in exsistance. Not many collectors have handled one. It looks nice to me but I am not in a place to make constructive comment.

Fred

2. # ADS

Quote by Fred Green View Post
    This cufftitle was made so late in the war that not many are in exsistance. Not many collectors have handled one. It looks nice to me but I am not in a place to make constructive comment.
    Indeed; it was officially instituted with an order of 6 December 1944, on the occasion of Generalfeldmarschall August von Mackensen's 95th birthday.

A special function was held at von Mackensen's estate in Pomerania, during which he was presented with two examples of the new cuffband together with a copy of Hitler's order instituting this new insignia.

Just over five months later, the war in Europe would be over. (And exactly six months after VE Day, von Mackensen died.)

some image when von Mackensen reciving the cuff title...
    Franz

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	portrait P6300021.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	505769Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mar30_01.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	505770

?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Indeed; it was officially instituted with an order of 6 December 1944, on the occasion of Generalfeldmarschall August von Mackensen's 95th birthday.

A special function was held at von Mackensen's estate in Pomerania, during which he was presented with two examples of the new cuffband together with a copy of Hitler's order instituting this new insignia.

Just over five months later, the war in Europe would be over. (And exactly six months after VE Day, von Mackensen died.)
    Very interesting and food for thought.

Quite some monumental events in one mans life.

I dont know how alert von Mackensen were in the last five-ten years of his life, but if he was sharp as a razor blade, imagine the thoughts, which must have been going through his head in regards to the rise and not least the demise of the TR. Not a happy camper, I bet.

I find some pictures from a museum in Germany (old french magazin)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6300020.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	220.6 KB 
ID:	506306Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6300019.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	506305

note in this image an ensample of unusual arm patch was worn on the upper right sleeve by some member of 4th cavalry division including cavalry regiment 5. in the last weeks of the war. This was an entirely unofficial insignia, and judging by the relative crudity of surviving examples it seems to have been made up by local industry facilities rather than being commissioned from a trade manufacturer.
    Interisland is the cuff title hand embroidered "unofficial”. sure priovata production

Please if you have more images and information are welcome
    Franz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12