Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A salty Gebirgsjager Officers moleskin tunic.

Article about: Gents, my first TR period tunic in a very long time, thanks to BenVK , this rather salty and tired tunic simply reeks of history, it has numerous period repairs,and alterations, probably att

Default A salty Gebirgsjager Officers moleskin tunic.

Gents, my first TR period tunic in a very long time, thanks to BenVK , this rather salty and tired tunic simply reeks of history, it has numerous period repairs,and alterations, probably attesting to its use in combat...it has had a long career...it began life as a Model 27/29 Reichsheer summerweight tunic, made of moleskin type material, the modern German Army, the Bundeswehr used this material for its combat uniforms in the 1960's,1970's and 1980's, so a connection here to my other collecting passion ! The tunic would of originally had a field grey collar, this was removed in the mid 1930's to comply with army regulations of the time,with one of black badge cloth, I would imagine it recieved its breast eagle at around the same time....there is evidence of a chevron on one arm (evidence of the owner having come up the ranks ?) and an "Eidelweiss" badge on the other...it has also had its two belt support buttons (Imperial style) removed and patched, again It is suggested at the same time as the collar replacement...the same black thread is applied, it has also had a dagger slit applied. The eagle eyed amongst you will notice that at some stage in its life it has had a patch sewn over the breast eagle, it has been suggested that this occurred when the owner was an eventual POW, in order to hide the swastika ! This type of tunic was widely used in WW2 due to its "old warrior" style and light weight for summer use. It is my intention to restore back to how it might once of looked during WW2, using appropriate insignia...having Mountain troop Officers collar patches attached, combined with evidence of the Eidelweiss badge on the arm, I will restore to a junior Officer of this formation. I will post progress along the way. Any more information regarding thie style of tunic is most welcome. I have used Ben's photographs at this stage of the thread...hope you do not mind Ben !
    Prost ! Steve.
    Attached Images Attached Images A salty Gebirgsjager Officers moleskin tunic.  A salty Gebirgsjager Officers moleskin tunic.  A salty Gebirgsjager Officers moleskin tunic.  A salty Gebirgsjager Officers moleskin tunic.  A salty Gebirgsjager Officers moleskin tunic.  A salty Gebirgsjager Officers moleskin tunic.  A salty Gebirgsjager Officers moleskin tunic.  A salty Gebirgsjager Officers moleskin tunic.  A salty Gebirgsjager Officers moleskin tunic.  A salty Gebirgsjager Officers moleskin tunic.  A salty Gebirgsjager Officers moleskin tunic.  A salty Gebirgsjager Officers moleskin tunic. 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A salty Gebirgsjager Officers moleskin tunic.
    P
    Many

Default Re: A salty Gebirgsjager Officers moleskin tunic.

very nice steve it looks nice a salty a very good buy can't wait to see it when its fully ready thanks for sharing

Looks really good Steve and I noticed it for sale before you bought it. I look forward to seeing it restored to it's former glory.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Hi Steve, I'm so glad it went to a good home which it really does deserve after all it's been through.
    Interesting description as well. I hadn't noticed half of the details you have but then I'm not really a tunic collector.

A been there tunic that is worthy of a proper restoration using some nice, salty insignia! I look forward to checking back from time to time to watch the resto.

Kevin

Good idea to restore this tunic Steve, and it will be interesting to see
    the original bits and bobs being put back on. I'll be watching
    your progress with it as well.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Nice, excited to see your progress!

Gents...I have replaced the removable buttons, with correct TR period items, together with the their "S" rings, as I felt the overly large bright silver buttons were not original, infact I suspect they are Imperial in origin, the large pocket buttons are pre 1897 and the smaller front ones post 1895 ! good that I collect Imperial militaria ! I have sourced a Model 1934 breast eagle, intended for the M1935 Waffenrock, but tended to be worn by both Officers and NCO's especially on this type of tunic....a post 1940 "Eidelweiss" arm badge has come my way...so on it will go....however, my search for a pair of "slip on" Mountain Troop Officers shoulder boards is proving fruitless...does anyone have a pair for sale or know of any for sale ! I say slip on, as there is clear evidence that this is the pattern worn on this jacket, evidence of loops and the fact that the shoulder seams have never been opened up...I intend to use a rather ratty worn Bundeswehr moleskin side cap for the loop material, it is identical in its make up ! Here are the latest photographs...
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A salty Gebirgsjager Officers moleskin tunic.   A salty Gebirgsjager Officers moleskin tunic.  

A salty Gebirgsjager Officers moleskin tunic.   A salty Gebirgsjager Officers moleskin tunic.  

A salty Gebirgsjager Officers moleskin tunic.  

Here are the rest......ignore the EK II ribbon, its on for effect only.
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A salty Gebirgsjager Officers moleskin tunic.   A salty Gebirgsjager Officers moleskin tunic.  

A salty Gebirgsjager Officers moleskin tunic.   A salty Gebirgsjager Officers moleskin tunic.  

that already looks so much better.
    quick question isn't the edelwiess supposed to be on the other shoulder like the bw version?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast