Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smoke Troops or Veterinarian?

Article about: I am not sure, when you get into these two branches, of how readily they are identified from one another. I see them around the web with varying descriptions. One would thing the Wehrmacht c

Default Smoke Troops or Veterinarian?

I am not sure, when you get into these two branches, of how readily they are identified from one another.
    I see them around the web with varying descriptions. One would think the Wehrmacht could have put a bit more difference between them to avoid confusion!
    These photos are from the Ratisbon site. The third image is a comparison to an artillery tab.
    Thoughts and ideas are very welcome! Thanks for looking!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Smoke Troops or Veterinarian?
    P
    Many

TWS
    ?

Hi Al,

Nebeltruppen and Veterinarian and usually pretty distinguishable. Nebel is Bordeaux Rot - a dark wine red - and Veterinäre wore Karmesinrot (carmine) branch color which is much lighter.

Wine red was also worn by the judicial branch and carmine was also worn by General Staff.

What did Ratisbon's describe those tabs as?
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

These were described as veterinary tabs. I have found examples all over of similar colored tabs being similarly labeled. The color repeats on shoulder boards too.

I found a veterinarian uniform in their last auction, and these are pictures of that.Smoke Troops or Veterinarian?

I don't know, it is tough to tell when you consider lighting and all that can play havoc with colors in a photo. I would think Ratisbon would know the difference. Well, I own them no matter what. They appear to be authentic, so that doesn't worry me. If anyone has any concerns, please, let me know.
    Thanks for the help Todd!

TWS
    ?

Quote by carpediem View Post
    I don't know, it is tough to tell when you consider lighting and all that can play havoc with colors in a photo. I would think Ratisbon would know the difference. Well, I own them no matter what. They appear to be authentic, so that doesn't worry me. If anyone has any concerns, please, let me know.
    Thanks for the help Todd!
    You are right and not only lighting but age can be a factor as well. Those tabs at the top I would want to see in hand and maybe even try to look under the top row of the waffenfarbe inserts to see if they were brighter underneath. If I had to go on just those photos alone I would have guessed more Nebeltruppen or even artillery that had darkened with age, but they might look different in hand.

Regarding the tunic of Hans Joachim Züge that you posted, the carmine or "hot pink" Waffenfarbe is more evident.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

I will eventually have them in hand, and maybe it will be more evident as to the actual color. I have seen so many on the internet that look exactly like these and also called veterinarian. Somewhere I saw that sometimes troops substituted shoulder straps and such with a color close to their service color due to not being able to get the right ones. When that happened, you could only know by having the uniform. That is how I saw it, on a tunic someone had.
    This wasn't my only purchase from Ratisbons.

TWS
    ?

I will eventually have them in hand, and maybe it will be more evident as to the actual color. I have seen so many on the internet that look exactly like these and also called veterinarian. Somewhere I saw that sometimes troops substituted shoulder straps and such with a color close to their service color due to not being able to get the right ones. When that happened, you could only know by having the uniform. That is how I saw it, on a tunic someone had.
    This wasn't my only purchase from Ratisbons.
    I agree. That did happen due to unavailability of the exact right color.
    Congratulations on your purchase of the tabs! I guess now is the time to tell you that the Hans Joachim Züge grouping will be on its way to me shortly.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Quote by TWS View Post
    I agree. That did happen due to unavailability of the exact right color.
    Congratulations on your purchase of the tabs! I guess now is the time to tell you that the Hans Joachim Züge grouping will be on its way to me shortly.
    SON OF A ...... !! Good for you! Had I been able to, it would be coming to my house. Glad it got a good home! Did you see my other purchase from that auction? I have some images up in a thread.

TWS
    ?

SON OF A ...... !! Good for you! Had I been able to, it would be coming to my house. Glad it got a good home! Did you see my other purchase from that auction? I have some images up in a thread.
    thanks! I am not sure if I saw the thread or not. I just searched for your latest posts and the saddle bag came up but it wasn't clear if you got it or not.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast