Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sport Shirt Insignia

Article about: Hello to all. Please see the attached collection of German Sports Shirt Insignia that i have. I think i have nearly all designs though i would be grateful if you guys know of any more and if

Fred Green
    ?

Default Re: Sport Shirt Insignia

Greetings colt45,

You posted a second pattern. Look at the neck and head. I believe the second pattern is a more asthetically pleasing version.

Fred

2. # ADS

Do anyone know the dates of when the first pattern one was used and when the second pattern started coming in ?
    Thanks

KMarine,

I was gathering my reference books to answer your question.

The most detailed information regarding the Sports emblems can be found in "Uniforms and Traditions of the German Army 1933-1945" Volume 2, page 80-81 by John Angolia and Adolf Schlicht.

There is also a 2-volume set that focuses on Third Reich Sports which I would highly recommend for anyone interested in this particular aspect of the Third Reich:

SPORT, AND THE THIRD REICH: History, Uniforms, Insignia, and Awards, by R. Newbrough. These books are filled with hundreds of period photos of sporting events, uniforms, and the various insignia as well as the detailed information about the various branches of the Armed Services and their uniforms.

Information from the reference books indicate that the large Sports Shirt Insignia (1st Pattern AKA Armed Forces Sports Badge or Wehrmachtsportabzeichen) was introduced in 1935. This is the version with the less defined Eagle's head.

When the second pattern Eagle (like post # 7) came out is still unknown to me and I am still digging through the reference books to find a more definitive answer.

Best regards

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sport Shirt Insignia  

Thank you very much for your reply Smitty, it has clarified one thought I had as wrong. I thought the 1935 pattern was the second pattern eagle and the first pattern I wrongly thought to be 1933 to 1935 issue.

I have both patterns but Kriegsmarine version and simply can't find any dates besides 1935 for these large insignia.

Angolias books are good but not without fault as many other books. I own an insignia he used in the book but mislabeled it as a tropical career insignia (the fabled insignia)

Again thank you for your reply and I look forward to hearing from you if you find out anymore information.

Thank you

Regards

Ken

Ken,

I completely understand about misidentification and one reason why I don't solely rely on one reference book for confirmation/clarification.

I will continue to scour the books and maybe find something more.

Take care

Smitty

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2