Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Sumpftarn Reversible Camo Parka Straight from the Woodwork!

Article about: Greetings everyone, I picked this up at a show over the weekend and really had no idea what it was until I got home. I bought it from a lady who's uncle had brought it back from the War. It

RZM
    ?

Default Sumpftarn Reversible Camo Parka Straight from the Woodwork!

Greetings everyone,

I picked this up at a show over the weekend and really had no idea what it was until I got home. I bought it from a lady who's uncle had brought it back from the War. It had been very poorly stored in an attic for the last 70+ years, so there were mud dauber and spider nests all over it. I am actually amazed that it is in such great condition. There is only one small hole on the white side, which was probably already there before it was stored. It is marked with R.B.Nr. 0/0450/0026 and III (size large). The only real issue with it is that it seems that parts of it are discolored from it's poor storage. Is there a safe way to clean this that won't cause further issues? Cold water and a light detergent or maybe Oxy Clean? Also, the buttons are a deep blue color. Would this indicate use by the Luftwaffe? Any input and comments are welcome!

Regards,

RZM
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sumpftarn Reversible Camo Parka Straight from the Woodwork!   Sumpftarn Reversible Camo Parka Straight from the Woodwork!  

Sumpftarn Reversible Camo Parka Straight from the Woodwork!   Sumpftarn Reversible Camo Parka Straight from the Woodwork!  

Sumpftarn Reversible Camo Parka Straight from the Woodwork!   Sumpftarn Reversible Camo Parka Straight from the Woodwork!  

Sumpftarn Reversible Camo Parka Straight from the Woodwork!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sumpftarn Reversible Camo Parka Straight from the Woodwork!
    P
    Many

It looks like the 1944 pattern parka. Whatever you do, don't wash it, the internal liner was a reconstituted fabric that will likely breakup if washed. RBNr code is for a known maker of these parkas.

Hello,
    nice find, it's Heer issue
    the camo is Sumpfmuster 43
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

RZM
    ?

Thanks for the replies! To clarify, I would never throw it in a washing machine. If anything, I would hand wash it and let it hang dry. Would that still be too harsh? Thanks again!

RZM

I'd leave it alone. Its postwar life is part of its history. It's been on a long journey, so treat it as what it is, rather than trying to make it better.

Regards, B.B.

You risk adding more stains or degrading the cloth if you attempt to clean it. But do make sure all of the insects are gone. I think it presents well on the foliage camo side and you should be thrilled to have found this one! NH

The stains are part of it's identity. A piece of "lived in" combat clothing, probably worn constantly for months. I think they add to the interest of the parka.

Hello,
    You have two options here :

1 : use it on a bust or mannequin with the camo out

2 : make a "muddy" display if you want to use the white side out. I did something like that in the past with a quite dirty camo winter parka. It looked great with dirty pants & dirty boots and equipment.
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

^I'm all for the dirt and character! My favorite Windbluse is the one with tears, stains and ragged edges. NH

I forgot - the profile photo to the left shows the Windbluse!
    Last edited by Neil Hever; 11-07-2019 at 03:59 PM.