Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Swedish M1909 Style coats in use by the Germans

Article about: Looking for some info regarding the Swedish M1909 style coats being imported and issued to the German Army. I know some officer versions were private purchases, but I am more interested in t

Quote by meyle77 View Post
    Finland was suggested as a source as well. Any photos of yours ?
    Any markings ?
    Finish army clothing and gear often have a [SA] property stamp on them (SA = Suomen Armeija).
    Are they reissued Swedish stock, they ought to have a date stamp and code, with a single closed crown above it.

Swedish stamp:

But keep in mind, that private purchase items would contain non of the stamps mentioned above or German stamps.
    To make the confusion even greater, the Finish army did not always re-stamp foreign items.

In the end, most coats are perhaps only stamp with a size (1,2,3,4 or 5: 1= largest size, 5 = smallest.), and manufacturers stamp.

Take a look at the stamps in this M/1944 livpäls, for comparison:

One of the most common manufacturers to encounter is "Aktiebolaget Mats Larsson" from the township of "Malung" in Sweden.
    They did often not stamp their coats, but placed a small fabric "patch" containing the company name.
    As this:

A fabric patch like the one above, is more easily lost during the years.

I cannot help with German stamps on foreign equipment.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Swedish M1909 Style coats in use by the Germans
    P
    Many

Quote by 37Webbing View Post
    Finish army clothing and gear often have a [SA] property stamp on them (SA = Suomen Armeija).
    Are they reissued Swedish stock, they ought to have a date stamp and code, with a single closed crown above it.

Swedish stamp:

But keep in mind, that private purchase items would contain non of the stamps mentioned above or German stamps.
    To make the confusion even greater, the Finish army did not always re-stamp foreign items.

In the end, most coats are perhaps only stamp with a size (1,2,3,4 or 5: 1= largest size, 5 = smallest.), and manufacturers stamp.

Take a look at the stamps in this M/1944 livpäls, for comparison:

One of the most common manufacturers to encounter is "Aktiebolaget Mats Larsson" from the township of "Malung" in Sweden.
    They did often not stamp their coats, but placed a small fabric "patch" containing the company name.
    As this:

A fabric patch like the one above, is more easily lost during the years.

I cannot help with German stamps on foreign equipment.
    Again thank you.

I noticed that some coats used by the swedes have double stamps like the in the photo with the size / year and secondary one with the unit (i have seen few issued to aa units). There are then those with third stamp with 3 crowns when they were reissued i guess. As stated those stamps would would not be found on german used items for sure.

Again thank you.

I noticed that some coats used by the swedes have double stamps like the in the photo with the size / year and secondary one with the unit (i have seen few issued to aa units). There are then those with third stamp with 3 crowns when they were reissued i guess. As stated those stamps would would not be found on german used items for sure.
    No, you are right. The first stamp in my previous post is a unit stamp underneath the crown.
    Most, if not all of the crown stamps found are unit stamps (On clothing and cloth equipment).
    The three crown stamp is earlier, and did not see use before the 1940s - early 1950s.
    I have several M/39 uniforms with the three crown stamp and a date ranging from 1942-1946.
    But regardless - the three crown stamp is too early for the livpäls 1905 and 1913.
    Last edited by 37Webbing; 10-05-2016 at 09:12 AM.

So every reissue meant new stamp - does it mean that those coats were not issued to a person but rather only used by the unit in general ?

I will try to take photos at the weekend of the one I found in Finland not sure what markings it has in it

So every reissue meant new stamp - does it mean that those coats were not issued to a person but rather only used by the unit in general ?
    That is a good question.
    I've got a Swedish Bred bag (M/1911) and a ration bag (päse för reserveproviant M/1895 = small bag that held the emergency ration in the pack) that has about three different units markings next to each other, and none of them are crossed out.
    Winter gear would have been issued to individuals. But it remained within the unit, and had to be handed in at the end of national service.
    However, I have yet to see a uniform that has more than one unit-stamp in them, and I don't know if there was any different approach between the equipment categories (clothing, leather gear, weapons related, etc.)

It is a puzzling question, and I cannot offer you a definite answer.

Quote by kradman View Post
    I will try to take photos at the weekend of the one I found in Finland not sure what markings it has in it
    Sounds good - stamps are under the collar.

Quote by 37Webbing View Post
    That is a good question.
    I've got a Swedish Bred bag (M/1911) and a ration bag (päse för reserveproviant M/1895 = small bag that held the emergency ration in the pack) that has about three different units markings next to each other, and none of them are crossed out.
    Winter gear would have been issued to individuals. But it remained within the unit, and had to be handed in at the end of national service.
    However, I have yet to see a uniform that has more than one unit-stamp in them, and I don't know if there was any different approach between the equipment categories (clothing, leather gear, weapons related, etc.)

It is a puzzling question, and I cannot offer you a definite answer.
    Thanks and I saw a coat with 3 separate stamps but only one is imo a unit stamp.
    Last edited by meyle77; 10-05-2016 at 05:40 PM.

Here is the AA unit stamp, I mentioned - Sundsvalls luftvärnsdivision (A 10 Su).

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Östgöt...ärnsregemente
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Swedish M1909 Style coats in use by the Germans  

Here is the AA unit stamp, I mentioned - Sundsvalls luftvärnsdivision (A 10 Su).

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Östgöt...ärnsregemente
    Yes, it is very elaborate for a unit stamp - but so are artillery stamps often

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast