Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Are these shoulder boards early or late war?

Article about: The whole private purchase idea really confuses me. I'm so used to issue items and learning what they look like. That's one reason I stay away from officers insignia. Now that the NCOs get t

Default Are these shoulder boards early or late war?

I finally found a set of Heer infantry shoulder boards, they have white piping, but they aren't the dark green, more feld grau. Would these be late war? Just faded? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, please and thank you for your time.

Are these shoulder boards early or late war?Are these shoulder boards early or late war?Are these shoulder boards early or late war?

Paul

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Are these shoulder boards early or late war?
    P
    Many

Fred Green
    ?

Default Re: Are these shoulder boards early or late war?

Hello Paul,

These are late war field grey infantry oberfeldwebel boards. The application of the tress is very poor, the pips don't match, and they have some pretty heavy mothing and wear. It appears as these were up graded to make them more than they were or somebody just did a terrible job of restoring stripped boards. Are these the boards that you mentioned to me earlier when we were discussing buttons?

Fred

Fred Green
    ?

Are these shoulder boards early or late war?Are these shoulder boards early or late war?Are these shoulder boards early or late war?Paul,

Are you looking for something like these?

Fred

Yes, there were the ones. I've found artillery boards all day long, but these were the first infantry I've found. And yes, your pics are exactly what I'm looking for. I'm making up a shadow box with all the pieces that would have gone on a tunic and I have all the awards and the breast eagle. I just need the boards and collar tabs. Those are great looking boards Fred

Fred Green
    ?

Pete,

Good luck on the collar tabs. Backed infantry collar tabs ,when you can find them, are a little expensive.

Fred

As usual I would agree with Fred.

They are a nice pair of baords you have there Fred.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks Fred, it figures the tabs would be more expensive lol my idea started out with just what would be worn on the left breast pocket and expanded a bit from there. Are your boards more for a parade or walking out uniform? This is where I get confused, with dress items and combat items. To me they look the same a lot of times, but the silver trim (the tress?) looks more fancy on your boards, or was that how they all looked originally?

Fred Green
    ?

Hello Paul,

These boards are a great pair of private purchase tailor made shoulder boards. They could be for walking out dress or a combat tunic. Boards for the waffenrock are all sew-ins. For a walking out dress(best Service Uniform) slip-on boards were the norm. Most of the time it depended on the individual soldier on what was worn on the uniform,with in regulation. Most best dress insignia or dress insignia was made of a felt material which wasn't as durable as badge cloth or wool.

Fred

Hello,
    The shoulderstraps shown by Fred are very nice private purchased ones...for instance, the felt back says it all...not regulation
    I have to disagree with him concerning the straps that opened this thread, what i see here is rayon piped Feldgrau straps used from 1940. Not saying this pair was made in 1940, but it could have been made between 1940 and 1944...IMO
    In the other hand, i have to agree with Fred for the tresse sewing and pips, altough i've already seen perfectly original upgraded NCO straps with pips of different sizes...im not very specialized in this matter, but was wondering if the small pips weren't W-SS collar pips...

Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Fred Green
    ?

Hello JP,

You are very correct in what you say! I term all fieldgrey as late war when in fact they are from 1940 to the end of the war. I need to watch my language a little more. Thank you for bring that up.

Fred

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast