Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thoughts on Afrikakorps Tunic

Article about: I'm thinking about possibly acquiring this WW2 Afrikakorps tunic and I would like some feedback as to it's authenticity. I realize that the photos are not the best quality, but I was hoping

?

FYI. In the sunlight, I did not see any shadow on the sleeve , where a possible shield patch would be. Although it would be nice to possibly find one or the stitching holes for a previous patch.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thoughts on Afrikakorps Tunic
    P
    Many

?

Also as far as the breast eagle, I am not doubting your detection of the Hoheitszeichen reproduction, but I could not see any shadow or stitch holes where a prior breast eagle would have been.
    Could it be that there was never an original Hoheitszeichen? Or was this seamstress that good?
    Also, a closer look at the stitching , parts of the Hoheitszeichen appear to be folded under, and sewn.
    Any thoughts ?
    Thanks for the dialog ...

With such poor pictures that tried to whitewash a fake eagle and dubious straps, it was not a straight deal to start with. Return privileges are there as the last safety net in such cases, so I would strongly advise you to add that to your list of options unless you bought it dirt cheap. It's always cheaper to ask for photos first than paying round trip postage for nothing.

?

Thanks for you thoughts. Yes, it’s always an option.
    I feel I got a good deal.
    I am not complaining. Just asking a question.

Sewing is not like punching holes in a metal sheet. There are no permanent holes, but only fibers pushed aside to make way for a passing needle, so those fibers can normally be shifted back to position by steaming or washing that swells the fiber and gives it a chance to get realigned in the drying process. Absence of sewing marks normally does not indicate absence of former insignia, but normally means the faker/restorer knows his business. A handspray of water mist works quite well on cotton when you want to conceal the marks.

?

Thanks, I did not know this.

Quote by Obal7 View Post
    Thanks for the observation.
    As far as the Hoheitszeichen being a reproduction, in your opinion, would it be a good suggestion to properly restore the tunic with a proper, original breast eagle?
    Or just leave it as is? Any suggestions?
    Hello,
    Concerning the Hoheitsabzeichen, it is not my opinion, it's only fact here. Look inside the red rectangles, that's the giveaway....only four feathers where there should be five (four is for cap insignia). Also, the stitching around the Svastika is not supposed to be machine sewn.
    IMO the blue Arrow shows a sign of a previous eagle that was removed...
    Thanks

Thoughts on Afrikakorps Tunic
    Last edited by JPhilip; 06-10-2018 at 09:52 AM. Reason: typo

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Great work (again) JP. Yes...the eagle is bad & the application wrong
    D.

?

Thank you very much! These facts were never pointed out to me. Thank you! This is how we learn!

There is a very nice example on Virtualgrenadier.com of a trop M42 with a correct application of the eagle. Bottom wreath is hand stitched. Page 3...item # CBU62. Surprised it has not sold. Good reference.
    D

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast