Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Tropenhelm national shield

Article about: After purchasing my first set of tropenhelm insignia, I've been looking into them a little more. I found this one, which is nicer in condition than the shield that I initially purchased- als

Default Tropenhelm national shield

After purchasing my first set of tropenhelm insignia, I've been looking into them a little more. I found this one, which is nicer in condition than the shield that I initially purchased- also, it differs in the kind of prongs attached at the back. After doing some research I found another example with the same prongs that I believe to be original, details match up down to the texturing on the front. My only possible concern is the clean appearance- I understand unissued pieces can appear as such, but I thought it's worth checking. Is this original? And what would the typical value be of one in this condition? Thanks for looking.

Mat
    Attached Images Attached Images Tropenhelm national shield  Tropenhelm national shield 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tropenhelm national shield
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Tropenhelm national shield

Mat you may want to see if Bond would have a look as he by far has the largest Tropenhelm and shield collection I have seen on the forum.

Regards Mark K

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Mat you may want to see if Bond would have a look as he by far has the largest Tropenhelm and shield collection I have seen on the forum.

Regards Mark K

Thanks Mark.

Sadly this is a modern fake. The clues are the brass pins attached with soft solder, though these can look similar to some original Assman made shields, but the other thing is the pebbling is reversed on these, which makes them look as if they are pitted on the front and pebbled on the reverse, whilst they should be pebbled on the front and pitted on the reverse.

Regards,

Jerry

PS I have a mate, Matt who has far more of these than I have ever had, but maybe one day!!!
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks a lot for the response Jerry, I won't pick this up then. The inverted pitting is something I'd probably never have noticed, had you not pointed it out- I shall remember that for in future.

I've seen one of these shields (not this one) in good condition priced at £30, is that a reasonable price for a genuine one? I still don't know their value, only that the price I paid for my Luftwaffe pair was worth it just for the eagle.

Mat

Original tri colour shields can go for anything between £10-30. My mate Matt, by a strange coincidence, is selling some pairs of Heer eagle and tri colour shields on another forum for $40-45 a pair, whilst someone else has a single tri colour for sale at 40euros.

Sadly, my cash flow problems (I am trying to buy a house) means I am unable to purchase some of those that Matt is selling.

Regards,

Jerry
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Right, it's good to know the general value of these things. I'll probably want to buy a set with the Heer eagle when I next have money to spend. I've noticed with those that the details vary quite a bit on some of the eagles, which I assume is down to different makers... some look a lot better than others in my opinion, so no doubt I'll be searching for the 'ideal' pair for a while first!

Mat