Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Two questions about German tunics (of officers) and reliable dealers

Article about: Dear all, I have collected German and other helmets. Now, I think about "to give them some fudament" by looking for an original German tunic wiht original sewed insignia (to be hon

Default Two questions about German tunics (of officers) and reliable dealers

Dear all,

I have collected German and other helmets. Now, I think about "to give them some fudament" by looking for an original German tunic wiht original sewed insignia (to be honest it was an old wish and now it has come up again ).

However may I ask you about reliable dealers in the EU. I think it's Espenlaub militaria and ???

May I ask you about German officers tunics too? According to Laurent Huart and Jean-Philippe Borg: Feldbluse. The German soldier's field tunic 1933-45. Histoire et Collections, 2007, p. 117 p., German officers wore other rank's tunics on the battlefield for reasons of camouflage. So they didn't wear on the battlefield but for walking out the officer's service tunic with cuffs and the opening for the dagger sling, maybe made from a finer cloth like garberdine. I am confused because I thought these service tunics were worn all the time, in combat too?

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    Last edited by Alter Musketier; 10-07-2015 at 10:12 PM.
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Two questions about German tunics (of officers) and reliable dealers
    P
    Many

It was all done to money. Some things never change!

Officers were reluctant to wear expensive tailor made tunics in the field as the war progressed. So many bought enlisted men's tunics from the Quartermaster and had the tailored as a cheaper option.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

The one I have is made from Italian cloth and is tailored into an officer style, 44 marked with EM jacket traces

By a regulation of 31st October 1939, combat troops officers in duty positions up to and including regimental commanders were even required to wear issue-pattern - i.e. enlisted ranks' type - uniforms in the field. These uniform items could be drawn (against payment) from unit stocks.

Sometimes these pieces were tailored up (for example fitted with sleeve turn-ups or altered to provide a better fit), sometimes they were worn as they were.

However, the above regulation was not universally obeyed and officers very often wore their smarter tailor-made uniforms even in the field.

As Ade said, what was worn would often depend on the officers' financial possibilities. A young Lieutenant from a working-class background would be more hesitant to ruin his expensive bespoke uniform than an old-school Colonel from a wealthy family.

Two questions about German tunics (of officers) and reliable dealersTwo questions about German tunics (of officers) and reliable dealersTwo questions about German tunics (of officers) and reliable dealersTwo questions about German tunics (of officers) and reliable dealersTwo questions about German tunics (of officers) and reliable dealersTwo questions about German tunics (of officers) and reliable dealersTwo questions about German tunics (of officers) and reliable dealersTwo questions about German tunics (of officers) and reliable dealersTwo questions about German tunics (of officers) and reliable dealersTwo questions about German tunics (of officers) and reliable dealersTwo questions about German tunics (of officers) and reliable dealersTwo questions about German tunics (of officers) and reliable dealersTwo questions about German tunics (of officers) and reliable dealersTwo questions about German tunics (of officers) and reliable dealersTwo questions about German tunics (of officers) and reliable dealersTwo questions about German tunics (of officers) and reliable dealersTwo questions about German tunics (of officers) and reliable dealersTwo questions about German tunics (of officers) and reliable dealersTwo questions about German tunics (of officers) and reliable dealers
    Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    By a regulation of 31st October 1939, combat troops officers in duty positions up to and including regimental commanders were even required to wear issue-pattern - i.e. enlisted ranks' type - uniforms in the field. These uniform items could be drawn (against payment) from unit stocks.

Sometimes these pieces were tailored up (for example fitted with sleeve turn-ups or altered to provide a better fit), sometimes they were worn as they were.

However, the above regulation was not universally obeyed and officers very often wore their smarter tailor-made uniforms even in the field.

As Ade said, what was worn would often depend on the officers' financial possibilities. A young Lieutenant from a working-class background would be more hesitant to ruin his expensive bespoke uniform than an old-school Colonel from a wealthy family.
    - - ------- - -

Andreas is always right.

Dear all,

Thank you very much for your answers and informations!

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917