Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Uniform care.

Article about: I'm still after that elusive first tunic / feldbluse, which hopefully if the gods work with me I shall hopefully acquire by the weekend, but once received how do you go about caring for it?

Default Uniform care.

I'm still after that elusive first tunic / feldbluse, which hopefully if the gods work with me I shall hopefully acquire by the weekend, but once received how do you go about caring for it?

Common sense says not to throw it into a washing machine, but is it OK to get it dry cleaned and iron it, or is it just best to leave as is?

Any advise is greatly received, as I'm still classing myself very much in the novice bracket, I'd like to make sure that the history of these articles are kept in the best condition I can give them.
    "Per Ardua"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Uniform care.
    P
    Many

I would give it a gentle but thorough vacuum, especially in the pockets and under the collar. Make sure to store it away from daylight too. There is a recent topic about moths that has some good tips on storage.

Thanks earlymb, yes I read about that, whilst searching for information on this subject, I believe that dried lavender is good for a moth repellent. Ideally I'm after putting the tunic out on a mannequin.
    "Per Ardua"

?

Hello,
    for the best conditions storage :
    best presentation is a manequin without head made with wood and cotton fabric.
    Never iron it by yourself.
    Keep away from heat and light.
    You can keep cedar wood piece close to it ( in a Pocket for example ), it keeps away moth. Who 's the worst enemy of old cloths. Moths adore wool...
    No cigaret smokes due to the yellowing and smell.
    Better never use false arms who deform the sleeve.

Dry clean is probably a disaster for old woolens, there maybe material missing after the process, which they will warn you about. You can probably steam out wrinkles, vacuum, tape is good for removing stray hairs, etc. I picked up a couple tunics last summer that had been in a trunk since the 70's, other than the odd wrinkled pocket, nothing wrong, and luckily no moth damage. Trunk had probably been saturated with Napthalene at one time, like old trunks tend to be, and moths stay away.
    Last edited by Larboard; 01-14-2016 at 11:54 PM.

Thanks for the tips so far guys!!
    "Per Ardua"

The member here who is a curator in a museum in Arizona, USA has included a useful conservation guide for textiles.

Thanks FB ... is it on here?
    "Per Ardua"

Quote by paulp4180 View Post
    Thanks FB ... is it on here?
    Yes, but don't ask me where. I was reprimanded for my plastic bags, and found a brochure from a historical society with very useful hints.

One of the better citizens here will key you in on where to look.

But there are also hints from the British Museum and their textile division on line, too.

Thanks FB, appreciate your help.
    "Per Ardua"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast