Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Unofficial afrikakorps cuff title

Article about: Hi All, this my first post, so I thought I'd put up something nice. I have been given this unofficial Afrikakorps cuff title by a work mate. I have no doubts about it being a good one as it

Default Unofficial afrikakorps cuff title

Hi All, this my first post, so I thought I'd put up something nice.
    I have been given this unofficial Afrikakorps cuff title by a work mate. I have no doubts about it being a good one as it was taken from it's original owner by his father Gunner R. Northcote, 898213, (34th Signals) R.A. who served in Italy. He also gave me some papers and photos of his Dad in Naples in 1944.
    Looking at Dal McGuirk's book 'Rommels Army In Africa' he shows a couple (both slightly different to mine) and mentions they were made by a firm in Tripoli. It's made of silk (I think) with off white/grey cotton lettering. As you can see from the pics it has a single looped silver thread edging that's pretty worn on the front but where the end is folded & protected from wear it's still quite bright.

Does anyone have anymore info?

Also, is there a difference between Officers & O/R's titles?

Cheers,

Richard.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unofficial afrikakorps cuff title   Unofficial afrikakorps cuff title  

Unofficial afrikakorps cuff title   Unofficial afrikakorps cuff title  

Unofficial afrikakorps cuff title  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unofficial afrikakorps cuff title
    P
    Many

Default Re: Unofficial afrikakorps cuff title

Hi Richard, welcome to the forum!

The cuff title I am fairly sure is good too and I like it. There are many versions of these and a full study has yet to be undertaken of them. Personally I am very interested in these cuff titles. I have handled ones in silver wire bullion thread: now the problem is, these are all unofficial private purchase: the variations may simply be due to how much a soldier was prepared to pay and not due to rank.

Cheers, Ade.

james89
    ?

Are you really sure that this is a genuine item? I know there a lot of versions but there are a lot of fakes too!

Hi James, as I mentioned before, there are many different versions of these unoffical cuff titles, by their very nature they are hard to catagorise. All I can say is I like the look of it and I have not seen others like it in 32 years of collecting.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi James, I'm 110% sure this title is original. As I said it came from a work mate who's not a collector & it was amongst his Dad's stuff he bought back from Italy at the end of WW2. I may have had my doubts if it had come from collector & I'd had to pay for it. Best free gift I've ever had!!!

Cheers,

Richard.

Hi Phil, Yeah I see what you mean. But these were locally made in North Africa & not up to the same quality as German made titles.

Cheers,

Richard.

Hi there,to me the colour suggests it could've been made in L/W colour. Stewy