Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WEHRMACHT armband-opinions

Article about: This is another London pick up by my wife, hope she did well. She loves flea markets. Thanks, John

Question WEHRMACHT armband-opinions

This is another London pick up by my wife, hope she did well.
    She loves flea markets. Thanks, John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WEHRMACHT armband-opinions   WEHRMACHT armband-opinions  

WEHRMACHT armband-opinions   WEHRMACHT armband-opinions  

WEHRMACHT armband-opinions   WEHRMACHT armband-opinions  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WEHRMACHT armband-opinions
    P
    Many

Default Re: WEHRMACHT armband-opinions

Hi John, the big problem with these armbands is that they were a cheaply made item to start with, combined with the fact they have been copied for many years by different people in different countries.

I own one myself which was brought back by a Royal Navy Veteran. If any armband matches that particular one I can say with confidence that it is 100% original due to the design of the eagle used and one other feature which I have observed.

Yours does not match mine, which does not make it wrong, however this makes it very difficult to give an accurate opinion. I am sure that original armbands were made by more than one maker and the screens used to print them vary slightly in design. The materials used to print them on can vary too. This is an area which no one has studied in depth and does require more study.

Have you ever blacklighted this example?

Cheers, Ade.

pjm
    ?

IMO this is a good one. As stated, these were produced by numerous firms so variations occur. Although judging from a photo is difficult, this appears correct and compares with originals I've owned.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi John, the big problem with these armbands is that they were a cheaply made item to start with, combined with the fact they have been copied for many years by different people in different countries.

I own one myself which was brought back by a Royal Navy Veteran. If any armband matches that particular one I can say with confidence that it is 100% original due to the design of the eagle used and one other feature which I have observed.

Yours does not match mine, which does not make it wrong, however this makes it very difficult to give an accurate opinion. I am sure that original armbands were made by more than one maker and the screens used to print them vary slightly in design. The materials used to print them on can vary too. This is an area which no one has studied in depth and does require more study.

Have you ever blacklighted this example?

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks for the replies guys, Ade I have access to a blacklight, what would I be looking for? Do you know any sites that would be good to research. Any help or direction is greatly appreciated. Would like to find out either way. I can post more photos if it will help. Thanks, John

Hi John, if you blacklight the armband what you are looking for is a reaction to the white areas of the colth. A bright almost "neon blue" glow would not be good. It should really show no reaction. But don't confuse a simple reflection of the light as a glow. Place it on a white t shirt or similar. If it glows like the shirt, that is bad.

There is no website which I know of which can help you study these. This topic has come up before on various forums I belong to and no definative answer has been reached.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade, I'll try it this evening.

Make sure you do it in a blacked out room.

I should add I cannot see anything wrong with it. It is just I cannot tell you with 100% certainty it is right.

Cheers, Ade.

Thumbs up Re: WEHRMACHT armband-opinions

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Make sure you do it in a blacked out room.

I should add I cannot see anything wrong with it. It is just I cannot tell you with 100% certainty it is right.

Cheers, Ade.
    Ade, I appreciate to straight talk, its the only way that I'll get to the level of knowledge you and the people on this site are at. I've been a member here for 1 yr. but collecting for 15, so far I've found that I've been very lucky with my collection. Had a few misses, but overall I've done well. Thanks again, John

John dont forget as Ade say's the black light is not a magic wand ther are way's arond this also they are so damnd clever at faking, but if it's any help i have a couple of thease and it look's good to me,

p.s wish my wife was as interested as your's

Thumbs up Re: WEHRMACHT armband-opinions

Quote by 85ronnies View Post
    John dont forget as Ade say's the black light is not a magic wand ther are way's arond this also they are so damnd clever at faking, but if it's any help i have a couple of thease and it look's good to me,

p.s wish my wife was as interested as your's
    I found a keeper 25 yrs ago, she knows what I want for birthday and holiday gifts Thanks, John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast