Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

wehrmacht camo poncho ? help

Article about: Dear Friends, I have just found this strange cover. It looks like made from zeltbahns, but is with very strange construction. it is made from 2 sheets splinter pattern textile which is paint

pereto
    ?

Default wehrmacht camo poncho ? help

Dear Friends,
    I have just found this strange cover. It looks like made from zeltbahns, but is with very strange construction. it is made from 2 sheets splinter pattern textile which is painted on both sides on a manner identical with the zaltbahns. there is one snap button painted in dark fieldgrey with stamp "Durabel auto W (or M)"
    a friend told me that it's DDR's (east german) acording to clips stamps(1958-1960 and on) but I am not convinsed ... It is dificult for me to belive that East germany have used Zeltbahns to produse such a products so late after the war... need your opinion and help!!!

last picures shows how it looks when it's dressed
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture wehrmacht camo poncho  ? help   wehrmacht camo poncho  ? help  

wehrmacht camo poncho  ? help   wehrmacht camo poncho  ? help  

wehrmacht camo poncho  ? help  
    Attached Images Attached Images wehrmacht camo poncho  ? help 

2. # ADS

Default Re: wehrmacht camo poncho ? help

Hi,

It was hard times after the war on both sides of the wall.
    I found a cape affair similar to yours but smaller at a house clearance over here and I was getting myself quite excited when the owner said 'oh yes, thats what Dad made me so that I could go to school dry in the winter' a sort of splinter pattern 'red riding hood cape' !
    Lots of surplus items and material was reworked.

Regards

Jock

pereto
    ?

Yes, I have that in mind too but do you think it's civilian use ot war materials(zeltbahns)? or military? It could be...
    But can you tell for sure that in the very end of the war in suply shorteges Wehrmach did not produse such a unstandart ("ersatz")items? Becouse when it is dressed it look's very much like a zeltbahn, s shape ...
    I find it in a military store wich is selling old military surplus wich was just arrived from Germany...it was allong site with early Bundeswehr camo (1955-1959)suits but this look obviously diferent from them.....One year ago in the same way I found a german oficers hat alongsite with DDR,s hat's
    For me the key is in that snap button ... I did not find anything about it's produser and period! Thanks for the reply!!!

looks like a good ww2 period field made coat

pereto
    ?

For the moment most people interested in that field are agreed on the opinion that it is: " pieces of ww2 zeltbahns , used after war (according to snap button) for rain protective poncho from ....someone