Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Alcoso Heer Dagger

Article about: This piece walked into the shop yesterday. Not the normal walk in.

Default Alcoso Heer Dagger

This piece walked into the shop yesterday. Not the normal walk in.

Alcoso Heer DaggerAlcoso Heer DaggerAlcoso Heer DaggerAlcoso Heer DaggerAlcoso Heer DaggerAlcoso Heer Dagger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Alcoso Heer Dagger
    P
    Many

Default Re: Alcoso Heer Dagger

Hi Matt,

Nice dagger! It looks like it has the type 'B' guard and Hersteller logo type 3. I think you'll find that the pommel cap and crossguard are very slightly magnetic, as they are of an iron/aluminium mix that was unique to Alcoso.

The hanger is very nice looking with plenty of finish left, but unfortunately it's missing the clips, do you have them?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

NO! I couldn't believe the owner didn't have the clips... I'm gonna have to find a pair.

I must admit, it's not a dagger for my taste.
    Simply too much of it ,does not match the ACS standard.

Regards
    Vedran

Quote by Rancid66 View Post
    I must admit, it's not a dagger for my taste.
    Simply too much of it ,does not match the ACS standard.

Regards
    Vedran
    Hi Vedran,

Is that because this should be a 3rd variant type dagger but the crossguard seems to be at odds with this type? Trying to learn a bit about these and it's still early days.

Can you explain your reservations so as to make it clear? Thanks.

Regards, Ned
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Alcoso was a big company, which is almost completely used their own of his work and parts for the dagger.
    Cross guard color does not match with the rest of the dagger, and it is clear that cross guard is not aluminum.
    Why would the Alcoso made dagger with scabbard and blade are made ACS, while the rest of the generic daggers?
    (and it is clear that is blade Alcoso - stamp, so not for another company)
    Scabbard is upside-down, it should be rotated - weird.
    In addition to the dagger that was produced during the war, he used the crossguard Generic Type A, Type B generic crossguarda were used in the earlier period.
    Hangers and portepee were added later, also weird.
    Postwar made dagger for me.

Regards
    Vedran
    Last edited by Rancid66; 04-07-2013 at 08:59 AM.

For what it's worth, this is just my limited observation of one aspect of the dagger. Which is when I did an enlargement of the backside of the crossguard I see what looks like a dull/worn gray color on the sharp edges. With the silver colored part looking like there might be some minor lifting underneath plating. With my tentative conclusion from that particular image being that the crossguard is most likely made of zinc. Regards, Fred

?

Other than being inserted in the scabbard the wrong way ( rings should be on the right ) the dagger looks ok to me. While it is unusual for Alcoso to use Generic parts, it is not unheard of. Wittmann states in his army dagger book that ACS was known to have used Generic B parts although nobody can be sure why. Possibly down to material or labour shortages that affected their own in house production. Eickhorn is another company that sometimes surprises with the odd Generic fitted dagger.
    Fit, patina and the fact the dagger is matched with an Alcoso scabbard on the dagger above makes me think it is fine.

Just my opinion of course .

Basically for me it is acceptable ACS dagger, from these photos: (I used Wittman daggers)
    I add also that generic B and A generic (made in war) dagger.
    The workmanship in all daggers clearly visible.
    Quality and matching is clearly visible from every dagger.
    That's my opinion, deriving from the fact that every dagger is very easy to disassemble and assemble.
    That's just my opinion, everyone has right to different opinion.

Regards
    Vedran
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Alcoso Heer Dagger   Alcoso Heer Dagger  

Alcoso Heer Dagger  

The best later manufacture Coppel Army dagger that I remember seeing had virtually 100 % of its original gray phosphate finish remaining. No condition issues, and even if they had to use zinc as a substitute material - the quality of workmanship was evident. Regards, Fred