Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Alcoso officers dagger ........ i think it is a fake, help !

Article about: Hey everyone, i have only a few pics of an Alcoso dagger offered to me. At the very most this is an original in pretty rough shape.... but i feel this might be repro. I believe the cross gua

?

Default Alcoso officers dagger ........ i think it is a fake, help !

Hey everyone, i have only a few pics of an Alcoso dagger offered to me. At the very most this is an original in pretty rough shape.... but i feel this might be repro. I believe the cross guard is on wrong, the Alcoso logo is under the eagle, and not the reverse as with all the others i have seen. The finish is pretty rough on the cross guard as well ! The bakelite handle is worn pretty good in a few spots. The asking price is very reasonable if this is real, i just have my doubts, i have run into alot of fakes lately ! Any help is appreciated, thanks !!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Alcoso officers dagger ........ i think it is a fake, help !   Alcoso officers dagger ........ i think it is a fake, help !  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Alcoso officers dagger ........ i think it is a fake, help !
    P
    Many

Default Re: Alcoso officers dagger ........ i think it is a fake, help !

what you have shown us that the blade has been assembled in reverse,i.e. the makers mark on front instead of the reverse,,,dagger looks good with aluminum fittings and rather later molded handle, that should have some bare visible cast lines on the grip...a good piece but not of the best quality on this one

Hamish Wiggens
    ?

I have a similar sort of a dagger.The one i have has the makers name Eickhorn Solingen positioned under the nazi symbol.The wreath of leaves around the nazi symbol on mine is very detailed in appearance.And on the sheath positioned are two small screws located about 5mm dowm from the slot on opposite sides to each other.I also have the letters E.C stamped into the tang under the handle. As a matter of interest what are these roughtly worth? The one i have was taken off a Japanese officer in the pacific. And can someone inform me how to place photos on the forum if they would be so kind. Regards Hamish Perth WA

hi,,,i can post your pics for you if you send them to me at boxcarbob3945@yahoo.com..Robert

?

Wonder how a Heer dagger was in the Pacific with a Jap?

I too think it is a good one.

Militarymania is correct - The pommel, grip and crossguard were dissassembled
    at some point and the crossguard has been simply put back
    in reverse position............!

From what I see, I also believe it's genuine. Post a better pic- straight shot of both the obverser and reverse of the corssguard as well as a close up of the MM, and also hit us with a pic of the pommel. we should be able to identify what pattern Alcoso crossguard it is and help make a better judgment regarding authenticity. I reiterate what I said. From these 2 scant photos, I believe the piece is good.

As was mentioned by my collecting brethren, the piece has clearly been apart. The bigges concern I would have is the possibility of a parts dagger. By studying the crossguard, pommel, scabbard and fittings, we should be able to ascertain if the piece is as expected from an Alcoso period Heer dagger. Also I cannot see if there are any specific patternes, i.e.- swirl patterns on the scabbard from the beading. A better pic of this as well.

I've added a quick diagram assembled by a collector/dealer who put these reference pages together illustrating the various crossguards we see on different Heer pattern daggers from different manufacturers. Here is a link to his site as credit is due to this collector/dealer who put this wonderful reference together. I think his name is Tom- but not sure.
    wardaggers.com - German Army Dagger Crossguard Makers Reference

The picture below illustrates the 4 distinct type of ACS crossguards that exist. There has been some debate in contemporary times about the possibility of only 3 distinct ACS crossguards- I don't know the outcome of that debate.
    T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Alcoso officers dagger ........ i think it is a fake, help !  

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    I too think it is a good one.

Militarymania is correct - The pommel, grip and crossguard were dissassembled
    at some point and the crossguard has been simply put back
    in reverse position............!
    No not at all. Just look at this post please. It's a widely spread misunderstanding

A widely spread misunderstanding

Best regards
    Danny

?

I just saw this is an old post. No idea why it showed as a new one...

I bumped up some old threads that needed to be seen again as information and research changes over time ...which is good for these threads to be updated.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill