Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Army Dagger modified?

Article about: The orange grip sits kind of funny on this one up by the cross guard, triggering my "gut feeling". Is this a red flag, or do they sometimes do this? Seller is asking \\$495 on this o

Default Army Dagger modified?

The orange grip sits kind of funny on this one up by the cross guard, triggering my "gut feeling". Is this a red flag, or do they sometimes do this? Seller is asking $495 on this one.

Thanks!

Army Dagger modified?

Army Dagger modified?

Army Dagger modified?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Army Dagger modified?
    P
    Many

As these were more or less hand fitted, I would not feel uncomfortable due to this alone.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Okay, thanks Ralph. How do you feel about that price?

Quote by avenger View Post
    Okay, thanks Ralph. How do you feel about that price?
    I would say, average for one in this condition.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Price is ok, 425 would be better, remember if you want to add hangers and a portepee that will cost you another 150 ish. and the portepee would cover up that lower part of the grip so it wont bother you as much, but I have seen them overhang like that before.

Is there a difference between the more yellow and the orange gripped daggers, or are they just variations of the same thing? In other words, did they signify something different, or is it just visual?

These plastic grips were made of the European form of the American plastic called "Catalin". Catalin was a type of bakelite plastic and was used in jewelry and such things as clock cases, radio cases, etc. and began it's life as White in color but with time and especially so with sun exposure, it slowly (Sometimes not so slowly!) changes color to the pumpkin orange. It was eventually discontinued for use as it is an expensive type of plastic to work with and it is extremely brittle and can develop cracks and splits-sometimes for no apparent reason. The grip being slightly off center would not be a concern of mine either. More than likely, this dagger was disassembled and put back together sloppily. If it Really was a worry, you could always slightly and carefully back off the pommel nut and reposition the grip correctly and Gently retighten the pommel until it is Finger Snug Only. As said, these plastic grips are Extremely brittle and can easily chip or crack if retightened too hard-perhaps even weeks or months later from the added stress. Personally, i would probably leave it alone. I used to always keep all of my daggers at finger strength tightness to avoid weather and humidity changes causing minute shifts, etc.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks Wagriff, that explains why every dagger seems different. I would have never guessed these were white to begin with.

I don't know if it screams "this is the one dagger for me". The price seems okay, but not great. I'm just looking for a good solid piece to represent my collection. I don't need anything like a rare maker, or some unique variation, just something nice. Not sure if this is the one though.