Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Army officer dagger by Carl Eickhorn

Article about: Hello, dear collectors and friends I want to ask for help with this Army dagger produced by Carl Eickhorn firm. Dagger itself is not a big deal - It is standard early Eickhorn piece with han

Default Army officer dagger by Carl Eickhorn

Hello, dear collectors and friends

I want to ask for help with this Army dagger produced by Carl Eickhorn firm. Dagger itself is not a big deal - It is standard early Eickhorn piece with hand made pommel and crossguard (1. type). What is interesting on this dagger is very little piece of cloth which is stick on leather washer. On this cloth is this markings: "2. Est. 13. (ßt) Rett. 99" and there is also name probably of owner "Aehte" or "Aehle" Can you help me to find something more about inscription? I can´t find anything on google, or on another forums.

Thanks a lot for your time and help!

Regards Peter

Here is some photos of dagger and inscription:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Army officer dagger by Carl Eickhorn
    P
    Many

Default Re: Army officer dagger by Carl Eickhorn

Hi Peter welcome to the forum..... I can't see too much viewing from my cell phone as I am at work at the moment ,, but from what I can see from the cloth it does not seem to be faded or darkened with age... Which the washer might be.. It is possible the cloth may be recent as it looks enter than normal. There should be some type of aging going with that cloth... Again my apologies and wait for some of the other members to comment on the cloth . The dagger appears to be good but looking at it through a tiny screen is not the best view. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hello Larry, thanks a lot for your comment. Piece of cloth belongs to this dagger and when I took off it from leather washer, I can clearly see aging on it. In my opinion this piece of cloth is definitely period. I believe, when you will see photos on bigger PC screen, you will recognize dirt on cloth and little letters on it. I just want to ask, if anybody can translate or explain this cloth markings.

Best regards Peter

You can always blacklight the cloth to see if it glows or not but it does look old, I have never seen anything like that before, a nice little addition to a very nice dagger, I wonder if there has ever been another one like this on record?

Hi Peter...and now a much better view as I am home in front of my comp screen...hard to see the details through an Iphone..but thank you for your patience.
    It is an interesting piece of cloth and someone must of used this for an ID of some type,,but first lets establish the identity of the regiment. No promises though as this cloth could of been taken from any source. Maximus makes a good point for a black light test..but The Army collectors who know regiments,,will be better able to tell you what and possibly where this regiment was.
    What I would like to see is some posts by our cloth collectors and the stampings used for various types of canvas. I will hold your thread at the top of the forum until you get the answers you need Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hello,
    Maximus71, thanks for your comment, I collect Army officer daggers for several years and I also never see this kind of ID markings on dagger. I searched almost everywhere, but without any result. I collect Austro-Hungarian bayonet also, but with them are not problems to identify direct regiments and platoon. But Wehrmacht forces seems to bee more complicated In my army daggers collection I have two Carl Eickhorn daggers - I mean this early 1. type. In future I can send photo of it too.

Larry C, thanks a lot for your comment and help, first when I examine this dagger I think, that this piece of cloth replace original leather washer, but when I look closely, leather washer is still on place where its belongs. I never took apart dagger, because I don´t want to damage it, dagger was covered by very deep black patina and dust, details were almost no visible, so that is why I decide to clean dagger. Knot belongs to this piece.

I also add one picture of my dagger collection - Most of them are Army daggers (13), Luftwaffe 2nd. model (5) and one 1st. model aluminium and one HJ knife. In future, I can add nice photo of each dagger.

Wow that is a very nice collection, and almost every one of your army daggers has a different color/patina to the handle. some cream, some pumpkin. some darker some lighter, gotta love this stuff!!
    do you have an ivory?

Nice collection Peter..thank you for sharing....maybe you could show each of the daggers and their producers when you get time. The forum would love to see them!

Woah, that's a weird one for me. I think it might have belonged to a cavalry officer as 'Reit.' is a German abbreviation/root word for a cavalryman. That would make sense seeing as how it is an early dagger. I cannot find an abbreviation for 'Est.' that makes sense. Maybe the blurred out middle part would actually make it read something completely different. I am stumped.

When in doubt, call Andreas.

Thanks for coming out Mo!...maybe possibly a little closer to the truth now with your info..but if you know anyone else with fabric knowledge send them here to take a look...Thanks again Larry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast