Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Early Army Dagger w/hangers

Article about: I going a little crazy posting my collection on the forum, never had an opportunity to display or show it off. Common stuff but it represents years of low budget digging around. This is one

?

Default Early Army Dagger w/hangers

I going a little crazy posting my collection on the forum, never had an opportunity to display or show it off. Common stuff but it represents years of low budget digging around. This is one of my Army Daggers that have very heavy fittings with dark patina that cleans up well. Do not like doing that however. For the viewing....Thank You
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early Army Dagger w/hangers   Early Army Dagger w/hangers  

Early Army Dagger w/hangers   Early Army Dagger w/hangers  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early Army Dagger w/hangers
    P
    Many

excellent condition!! thanks for showing FB,
    cheers Ronnie

I'm not an expert, so I'm ready to be corrected here. There's some aspects of this dagger that strike me as a bit off.

The grip for one, is very similar looking to the reproductions from 50's England.

The top scabbard band in the forward grip photo has some crude looking weld seams, and the bands in general look soft detailed.

The eagle wreath doesn't have the crisp detailing you'd expect from an Eickhorn 2nd, and the pattern isn't quite right on it Perhaps it's just the photo though.

The maker mark looks a bit off placed too, and perhaps a little off in design.

I'm probably just over analyzing it, so wait for someone else. There's probably a perfectly good explanation for these things, first being my novice appraisal.
    Last edited by avenger; 09-12-2014 at 04:16 PM.

Hello, awesome dagger, I think nothing wrong with it. For Eickhorn is typical to mix early and later parts... In my opinion correct dagger in every way! This one is real killer!!!

thanks for showing it to us

Regards Peter

For Avenger:
    Grip - correct and certainly not similar to reproduction from UK
    Scabbard - textbook Early Eickhorn
    Eagle - textbook Early Eickhorn 2nd. type
    Marker mark - correct 1935-1941 design

Excellent. I stand corrected then.

Avenger, here is a link to one internet auction from Czech republic, similar dagger, now please try to find what is wrong with it

click here: D

Peter

Ha! I get the feeling school is now in session.

Let's see...

Not crazy about the fact the crossguard's patina is different from some of the other fittings, but seems to match better on the reverse. It doesn't have the screw on the back, so that's at the very least missing.

I guess if I'm going to give it a shot, I'd say the screw is missing an the ferrule was replaced. The grip is cracked too, but that's more of a condition issue. Otherwise, it looks fine to me, which probably means it's a total fake right!? :P

I'm going to figure these out eventually. Thankfully there is ample resources here and other sites to use for comparison.

Well, blade and pommel are Eickhorn product, but crossguard is Horster 2nd. type, which is almost identical to Eickhorn 2nd. so you are right if you see difference in patina! good eye! Scabbard looks like generic type, but from this photo it looks like reproduction to me! This is really dangerous dagger for purchase

Peter

looks a nice one.

What attributes make you think the scabbard is reproduction? I almost said it looked like the silver on the bands was flaking like bad plating, which struck me as odd, but it's hard to tell from their photos what that really is and some reference photos had darkened areas that were similar.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast