Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FW Holler Heer dagger.

Article about: Hi all, This is a dagger I picked up this past weekend at auction. Comments welcome.

Default FW Holler Heer dagger.

Hi all,
    This is a dagger I picked up this past weekend at auction. Comments welcome.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FW Holler Heer dagger.   FW Holler Heer dagger.  

FW Holler Heer dagger.   FW Holler Heer dagger.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement FW Holler Heer dagger.
    P
    Many

No expert here, but I do not like the scabbard and the detail on the parts of the dagger are soft to me. More experienced person will be by to confirm.
    John

No expert either but love the color of the handle on that army dagger. I think it looks very nice and hope it is 100% legit. Thanks for sharing.

?

Looking in the search engine for these, The scabbard is the single screw type scabbard and it does not exhibit the swirl dot pattern seen on fakes/reproductions and the dot pattern back ground on the pommel is also a good sign.
    Dot pattern
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...09dc4fced3.jpg

Scabbard
    My F.W. Holler Heer dagger

But I do not collect or have any Heer so , I'll leave it to the experts to make the call!!

Good Luck

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 02-13-2020 at 05:40 PM.

This dagger appears to be time period correct in all details ( Unless Gerrit shows up and beats me up )
    The flushmount screw on the scabbard is correct.
    Production period is early to mid period 1936-37
    Crossguard appears to be Holler type 2
    Maker mark is also correct for this time period
    Grip is type B

Looks all correct from what I can see.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thank you all for your thoughts and Larry for your opinion. I believe it was polished at one time, someone on another forum point out that there’s some white residue on the pommel. It has a pretty good patina, but not as heavy as the untouched dagger my father brought back. That may be why some thought the look was off. I am not well versed on these and they are not a collecting focus, in hand I liked the look of it and the price was decent IMO. It will be displayed but an item that will likely be a trade/sale item when I come across some thing I want and need funds.

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    This dagger appears to be time period correct in all details ( Unless Gerrit shows up and beats me up )
    The flushmount screw on the scabbard is correct.
    Production period is early to mid period 1936-37
    Crossguard appears to be Holler type 2
    Maker mark is also correct for this time period
    Grip is type B

Looks all correct from what I can see.

Regards Larry
    Larry you nailed it!
    It seems you have an excellent Referencebook my friend!
    It indeed matches dagger 37 of the "Heeresdolche" referencebook by Danny & Ger

Regards
    Ger
    FW Holler Heer dagger.
    Last edited by gerrit; 02-14-2020 at 08:30 AM.

?

That is a very hard one to find and way rarer then a lot of other early daggers with slant grips!

Just spray the crossguard, pommel en grip with some WD40, then give it 5 minutes and clean it with a toothbrush to get rid of the silverpolish residu.
    After that just dry it gently with a soft cloth, the patina remains but the white residu will be gone together with the dirt on the gripswirls

Regards
    Ger

Thank you for the comments and WD 40 tip. As long as it does not mess with the patina I will try it.
    Last edited by Mauser202; 02-14-2020 at 04:09 AM.

?

Good Deal!!
    I do love happy endings!!!!

Congrats Mauser202!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast