Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Heer Dagger - E. Pack (Siegfried Waffen)

Article about: Hello folks. I've compared this E. Pack 3rd type to the examples in Heeresdolche, and it looks overall correct to me. Looks like an example of the aluminum crossguard. While I've seen fittin

Default Heer Dagger - E. Pack (Siegfried Waffen)

UPDATED PHOTOS:

Here are new photos of the dagger, in hand, and a more extensive study of the piece. The pommel is not magnetic, the ferrule is magnetic and quite a bit cleaner/lighter patina than the other fittings, the crossguard is not magnetic. Set included a truly lovely set of deluxe hangers.

Generic scabbard? Bands seem to match generic types....am I misidentifying this?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ORIGINAL POST:

Hello folks. I've compared this E. Pack 3rd type to the examples in Heeresdolche, and it looks overall correct to me. Looks like an example of the aluminum crossguard. While I've seen fittings with unmatched patina, I have to say my eye is quite drawn to the ferrule on this compared to the pommel. Perhaps had a portepee most of its life that's now missing? Scabbard is the 2 side screw type that it should be. Do you guys see any problems I'm missing?

I'd really like one of these Seigfried Waffen daggers. I love the logo they used on these, and I figure I should be able to find a nice minty example of this given the commonality of them. But, I sure would like to know everything is as it should be for a 100% unmessed with original before plopping down the cash.

Thanks all for your time and expertise!

Last edited by avenger; 01-21-2017 at 07:46 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer Dagger - E. Pack (Siegfried Waffen)
    P
    Many

Seller description lists it as:

Excellent condition high quality dagger and matching scabbard by one of the premier makers.

Blade is bright with almost no graying or in and out marks, good cross graining, only one miniscule knick to blade edge.

No sharpening or file marks.

No damage to fittings or orange handle.

Lower crossguard has the tiniest wobble, probably because the leather washer has flattened out a bit, but the washer is still present.

Everything fits together perfectly.

?

I have seen this one and it looks fine to me!
    It seems to have the silvered aluminium fittings or light metal alloy fittings, with a nice detailed pommel.
    a nice addition for a proper price.

Best
    Ger

Study reaps the bounty reward !

Well done Scott
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thank you gentlemen! I really appreciate the confirmation and your time. It's been out there a while, so maybe I can make it happen...

I think you did well Scott.
    Considering that it also came with a set of deluxe hangers as well.
    Congrats!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks Ralph! It'll be on its way to me next Tuesday. It's been a long time since I got the pleasure of photographing a dagger. Looking forward to the whole experience again, a big part of exploring a new piece for me.

Dagger arrived today. Will get more/better photos soon. Wanted to post a photo of the pommel though, as I've been unable to identify if this is an E. Pack pommel despite looking through Heeresdoche 1 dagger at a time. 14 leaves. Any thoughts from those with better eyes for comparing than mine?

?

Hi Scott,

due to the hand enhancement its not Always easy to determen if the pommel fits, the early ones like yours ( dagger 60,61,62 in our Heeresdolche book) all have 14 leaves
    This one is imo a Pack product, i have put yours in the middle, and you can see its a mix of the two, pointy and rounded leaves..they for sure had more then one castmold, so difference are Always possible, the rest depended on the craftman...nice to see the top rim on yours, like the right one, nice enhancement!
    You did wel, i like that Pack and was tempted myself, but you cant buy them all....
    Regards
    Ger

Thanks Ger for that great comparison. I appreciate you taking the time to put that together for me, and it really does help to see them side by side like that.

For my eyes, it would lead me to think it looks like my pommel is probably the casting of the one on the left, enhanced in the style of the one on the right, which may be what you're saying here. The craftsman added the rim line along the top I guess, and seemed to have a less heavy hand on the leaves compared to the left pommel. The only other daggers I could find in the book last night with pommels that struck me as similar to mine, were on small makers who used Pack crossguards, which probably means pack pommels too.

Makes me wonder if the hand detailing styles evolved throughout the war just like the designs. It all certainly shows how detailed the work was creating these items way back in the day, making the stuff we buy today seem cheap in comparison.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast