Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Heer dagger: Real or fake?

Article about: I am with whats been said above also look at the tang on the blade, poor detail in the maker mark, crossguard isn't one recognised with holler, also holler was one of the most copied makers

Default Re: Heer dagger: Real or fake?

Makersmark (logo) is too far placed to the point/tip of the dagger.
    With a real Holler is the makersmark placed more to the crossguard.

Gr. Theo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer dagger: Real or fake?
    P
    Many

Quote by prinz eugen View Post
    i can post better picture but i dont know what you need
    Please post straight on photos, not at an angle. The guard, the blade where it rests against the leather buffer and the maker mark.
    @ Steve, I have read that as well, but I have seen daggers and scabbards that I could see swirls on and they were accepted as good. so, I am on the fence with this one and why I said that some would say it is a repro.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/dagge...r-dagger-6687/
    i think that my eagle is different

Alright I try to stay away form commenting to much on "Real or Fake" posts because I dont want to say something that might upset somebody. However I thought I might give my opinion even though I am a bit new to all of this. As someone has already said the eagle looks like it is from another dagger. Having said that
    -The oak leaves have good definition and so does the scabbard stippling
    -Some fakes have brass fittings this one doesn't
    -The grip grooves run high right to low left and they are smooth and dont come to a point, some fakes have the grip grooves running the wrong way
    -The edges on the blade look sharp not run down or rounded like some fakes
    -The scabbard looks to be one piece, a lot of fakes were made with the tip of the scabbard at a second piece.
    The last thing to look for would be to look inside the scabbard and see what the liner is made out of. If the liners are soldered brass it is a quality fake. the original liners were made of steel, zinc alloy and were riveted. All of this info came form a book I have called "detecting the fakes" by Robin Lumsden It was like 20 bucks. I hope this might help you out. I think it is legit but the eagle is wrong. Cheers!

The makersmark/logo with original Holler daggers isn't so deep engraved.
    The sharpening of the blade with original Holler daggers are sharper as this shown one.
    The crossguard doesn't seem to match with Holler.
    But i am an absolute amateur with daggers.

Gr Theo.

IMO the blade is a ,, take a look between the picture posted by Prinz Eugen and my Holler blade look at the difference in the logo ,, look at the star between the FW and Solingen too big and sloppy and on mine the star is smaller and the letters are clearer and sharply defined. The logo as you can see is very close to the crossguard, on my Holler. The thermometer is ragged looking and on the worst authentic examples you will still see details in the digits on the thermometer. As far as the crossguard is concerned,, it looks little questionable but it was normal for makers to order parts from each other as my eagle is Ernst Pack version. The tang on Prinz Eugens looks a little fatter than normal but giving the benefit of the doubt as pictures show different dimensions. Could be a parts dagger and I myself would not touch it because of the logo. There were 3 types of logos and the one shown is deemed as mid period because of the amount of the digits on the thermo. The logo on The dagger in question IMO is copied and made to look like the second type. The second type logo is more widely seen than the other 2 types and is faked more often. Be careful Prinz Eugen and research all aspects of any dagger before purchasing. Regards Larry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heer dagger: Real or fake?   Heer dagger: Real or fake?  

Heer dagger: Real or fake?  

There you have it!
    After comparing these two posted examples, I have to agree with pretty much all that was said by Siegfried B.
    The quality of etch and grind on the blade of the one that started this thread are poor when compared to an original example.
    I think the distance from the guard is close, but since prinz eugen does not show a photo of the blade installed correctly in the guard, it is difficult to judge. If I am not mistaken, there is also some scratching or rust on the etch to possibly try to hide the lack of detail.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Last edited by prinz eugen; 12-31-2011 at 12:01 PM.

Thanks you all for help and sorry for wasting your time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast