Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Heer dagger for your appraisal

Article about: Good day to all, I acquired this dagger, along with a 1937 pattern Luftwaffe model (currently posted in the appropriate sub-forum), some 15 years ago and have always felt it to be correct. I

?

Default Heer dagger for your appraisal

Good day to all,
    I acquired this dagger, along with a 1937 pattern Luftwaffe model (currently posted in the appropriate sub-forum), some 15 years ago and have always felt it to be correct. I purchased the pair from the son of a veteran, through an ad in a local paper. Sadly, he was unwilling to divulge any further details regarding his father’s name or service. Both are nice and tight everywhere and I have never felt the need to disassemble anything.

Having trawled through previous posts, I am now in two minds about this Heer dagger (though I don’t know why), as there seems great disagreement (and sometimes even confusion) in many cases... My confidence in the Luftwaffe dagger remains high, however.
    Regarding this example, certain aspects of the craftsmanship seem a little ‘poor’, while others are razor-sharp. This does not seem an uncommon blend, depending upon date of manufacture and metals employed - as I understand it.
    The Eickhorn squirrel mark was difficult to capture, but seems somewhat crude to me, when compared to the crisp early versions.
    The oak leaves above the cross guard are ‘traveling’ left (as opposed to the more common right), though it seems this is not an impossibility and some were, indeed, assembled this way.
    There is a slightly clumsy ‘step’ in the oak leaf casting to the scabbard loop bands.

I look forward, with some trepidation, to your appraisals,
    With my sincere thanks in advance,
    Bob

My apologies for any jumbled, upside down images (cannot control them)!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heer dagger for your appraisal   Heer dagger for your appraisal  

Heer dagger for your appraisal   Heer dagger for your appraisal  

Heer dagger for your appraisal   Heer dagger for your appraisal  

Last edited by Kohima; 07-03-2018 at 06:48 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer dagger for your appraisal
    P
    Many

?

Well if you looked through the posts of the Eickhorn Type 4 daggers why do you have any doubts about this one?

Best
    Ger

To me its a complete Textbook Eickhorn Type 4 with the harder to find 3th type stamped Logo

I have seen lots of ferrules facing the left and facing the right, so no worries there.
    Even have seen scabbards with the upper band facing the leaves to the right and thebelow one to the left.

perhaps the Eickhorn employee had a rough weekend?

?

Many thanks for your most pleasing reply, Ger!

Any doubts I had were just down to good ol’ fashioned confusion! I had always felt it to be right, just got confused by the complexity of the subject and, above all, how good the copies are becoming (certainly to a novice like myself anyway).
    Thank you so much for allaying those doubts and sharing just a tiny part of your knowledge with me.

This and my named Luftwaffe dagger are the only examples I have and this area of collecting is really not my subject, I’m afraid.
    I am very pleased to learn that this Heer dagger is textbook, naturally, and sits comfortably back alongside my Luftwaffe model...
    I think I’m going to need a Kriegsmarine example before long though!
    I guess that’s where the slippery slope starts...

Well, my thanks again and very best regards,
    Bob

?

Like Ger said, a very nice original textbook piece! If you are uncertain about a navy dagger you find, you can always compare it with one in the link below:
    Kriegsmarine dagger collection

I can also recommend this website of one of our forum members:
    Home - kriegsmarinedolch

Regards
    Danny

?

Thank you very much Danny!
    I just had a quick look at the Kriegsmarine dolch website... looks like it will be very useful!

Many thanks again and very best wishes,
    Bob

Ger and Danny are the top guys to reference on the Heer topic. You received the best answers.

Best Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill