Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Heeres Offiziersdolch by Eisenkopf

Article about: I've always wondered how many Army daggers exist with a ferrous metal base used for fittings. I've seen this magnetic base metal used by ALCOSO, but can't remember seeing it used by any othe

djr
    ?

Default Heeres Offiziersdolch by Eisenkopf

I've always wondered how many Army daggers exist with a ferrous metal base used for fittings. I've seen this magnetic base metal used by ALCOSO, but can't remember seeing it used by any other maker. A friend of mine made the "discovery" a while back and called it "Eisenkopf". I own an example of this type and wondering how many other examples exist. Outside appearances are the same as the non-ferrous base metal used except for a difference in the weight.

Use a magnet to test the crossguard, pommel, and ferrule. It should be obvious whether or not your dagger has the steel base metal.

I'd enjoy hearing so I can compile the info which I will publish as a document on this site for all collectors to use.
    DJ

2. # ADS

Default Re: Heeres Offiziersdolch by Eisenkopf

Correct me if Im wrong,,but the translation for "Eisenkopf" means ..."Iron Head" so is there a relation to the metals used to call it this name?
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Correct me if Im wrong,,but the translation for "Eisenkopf" means ..."Iron Head" so is there a relation to the metals used to call it this name?
    Larry, I don't know who it was, or when, or how many, but at some point some collectors used the term to describe the plated (presumably malleable iron) magnetic dagger handle parts. But only some of them - as I've never seen it used to describe the iron based SA or SS cross guards. Best Regards, Fred

Here is my Alcoso with magnetic fittings. The eagles on these daggers always seem a little washed out. I have not seen the magnetic fittings on any other heer manufacturers, but that does not mean they don't exist.

Wolfgang

Heeres Offiziersdolch by Eisenkopf

Wow, I just noticed that the original post is from 2008. Too late for a reply, but what the heck.

Wolfgang

?

A tasty grip on that dagger Wolfgang , love it
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Quote by Alan M View Post
    A tasty grip on that dagger Wolfgang , love it

This is the favourite among my ivory gripped daggers. It was a garage sale find by a good friend. He almost passed it up because he knows I don't like cracked grips. He had no idea that it was ivory. Things worked out well for both of us though.

Wolfgang