Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help needed from our German speaking members!!!

Article about: Hello folks, here is a mid period Heer dagger I just bought that has an interesting Personalization.. I can make out the "Rittm." for Rittmeister, Cavalry rank equivalent of Captai

Default Help needed from our German speaking members!!!

Hello folks, here is a mid period Heer dagger I just bought that has an interesting Personalization.. I can make out the "Rittm." for Rittmeister, Cavalry rank equivalent of Captain, but cant quite make out the "Hand written" part?? I have a few idea's but want your view on this please. There is also a jeweler engraved letter on the scabbard, please give your opinion of which letter that is also.. THANKS for any guidance on this!! Best, Kevin.

Help needed from our German speaking members!!!Help needed from our German speaking members!!!Help needed from our German speaking members!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help needed from our German speaking members!!!
    P
    Many

"Niemöller" (German family name), I think.

Mein Alter Rittmeister...My old/former Rittmeister... I think, lol...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Mein Alter Rittmeister...My old/former Rittmeister... I think, lol...
    cheers, Glenn
    I dont think so:

Help needed from our German speaking members!!!

"i" before "e"....

Thanks so far guys!
    RKKAfan, that is great, I would not have seen that.. This is why I wanted to post! Are you German or very familiar with German from this period? Any ideas on the script letter on the scabbard?

Quote by heers68 View Post
    Thanks so far guys!
    RKKAfan, that is great, I would not have seen that.. This is why I wanted to post! Are you German or very familiar with German from this period? Any ideas on the script letter on the scabbard?
    Yes I live in Germany. I dont have any idea about the "R".

Im hopeful Member HPL2008 " Andreas " can shed some light on the script type..as IMO..I think Glenn may have answered it.

Handwriting style of each individual will differ....and the space between the word may have been a coloquial from that part of the German Region. Just my thoughts.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Glenn´s answer doesnt make sense (for me). "Rittmeister" is an old German rank. If there is one sentence, the owner had used same typeface. But the typefaces are different. The first word looks like a typical signature, which you find on German autograph cards. The letter before the second "e" is not a German "t". Regards

RKKAfan, I was thinking this single letter on the scabbard might be an "N" after looking at some sudderlin scripts and old English scripts, which would fit with Niemoller.. Maybe it is an "R" then to echo the Rittm.?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Im hopeful Member HPL2008 " Andreas " can shed some light on the script type..as IMO..I think Glenn may have answered it.

Handwriting style of each individual will differ....and the space between the word may have been a coloquial from that part of the German Region. Just my thoughts.
    No; unfortunately, Glenn's Interpretation is not correct. For starters, there is no arguing that the "i" is before, not after the "e" and that the letter before the first "l" is not an "a".

I think it is "Niemöller", too.

The "N" with the downward stroke looks a bit like an "M", the blank space is a bit odd and the two "l"s are not identical, but this is clearly a facsimile of a handwritten signature, which is surely the reason for these quirks and the difference to the font used for the "Rittm."

As has been said above, "Rittm." is the abbreviation for Rittmeister, i.e. a cavalry captain.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast