Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The Hoerster Crossguards

Article about: Hello Gentlemen, I would like to have your thoughts about the Hoerster Crossguards. Wittmann points out 4 types in his book. But Wardaggers only 2. wardaggers.com - German Army Dagger Crossg

Danny, what is your opinion regarding the "late" crossguard together with "early" scabbard, on my pictures? After I posted these two pics, I found yet a third one with the same crossguard/scabbard.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Hoerster Crossguards
    P
    Many

Danny I stand corrected I wasn’t aware that Horster used the WKC 2nd - So how many examples have you seen fitted with this crossguard?

?

Chris: I don't have any problems with the combination of an early scabbard with the second style Hörster crossguard.
    Tom: I have seen two or three more Hörster army daggers with this crossguard over the last years so they are not very common at all. I believe the second model WKC crossguard was used for a very short period because you don't see many WKC armies with this crossguard eighter.

Danny

This is a new one on me too, WKC guards seem to get around though.. I used to have a Tiger with the WKC 2nd. Chris, I also have no problems with the two screw scabbard on a Horster of this era, seen many with that scabbard. Kevin.

?

My website is a little confusing in that the cross-guard reference page, only shows cross-guards known to be manufactured by each specific company. ( Army dagger cross-guards )

The traits page does however list all variations produced in house and purchased cross-guards used by each maker.
    ( Army dagger traits )

I believed it would be far too confusing for collectors new to the hobby to try to get their head around the whole shared fittings debacle, to show all variations on the cross-guard page.

Tom,
    My rule of thumb when the page was constructed, was not to list any in house cross-guard unless I could confirm at least 5 textbook examples bearing the same cross-guard and the same maker mark. This was the case with the WKC 2nd ( Horster ). I have recently however had to amend my policy.............because you keep finding RARE previously unknown variants that I would have to wait 15 years to confirm.
    STOP IT AT ONCE !

?

Thanks you all Gents for the nice input here, it became a very nice post with good info!

Ger
    Last edited by gerrit; 02-17-2014 at 08:02 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2