Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Hoerster Crossguards

Article about: Hello Gentlemen, I would like to have your thoughts about the Hoerster Crossguards. Wittmann points out 4 types in his book. But Wardaggers only 2. wardaggers.com - German Army Dagger Crossg

Default The Hoerster Crossguards

Hello Gentlemen,

I would like to have your thoughts about the Hoerster Crossguards.

Wittmann points out 4 types in his book.

But Wardaggers only 2.
    wardaggers.com - German Army Dagger Crossguard Makers Reference

What is somewhat confusing is the fact that Wardaggers claims that Wittmanns 2nd and 3rd pattern are not Hoerster Crossguards, BUT the pages (in Wittmanns book) Wardaggers are referring to are in fact the 1st pattern (page 38) and the 2nd pattern (page 39).
    In Wittmanns book the 1st pattern is shown on page 37 + 38.
    The 2nd on page 39.
    The 3rd on page 40.
    The 4th on page 41.

Best Regards
    Chris

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Hoerster Crossguards
    P
    Many

Wittmann himself admitted that there was mistakes he made in differentiating particular crossguards..in his Heer reference. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Here are two Hoerster Daggers.
    Both should be / are sold as untouched originals.

Both have the "E & F" which I believe to be the "late period" logo and please correct me if I am wrong, but I think both have the "late period" crossguard.

But I thought the scabbard with two screws equals "early period" scabbard??
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Hoerster Crossguards   The Hoerster Crossguards  

Mistakes are made and we all forgive them, including calling horster hoerster lol

Quote by maximus71 View Post
    Mistakes are made and we all forgive them, including calling horster hoerster lol
    I don't know if I should laugh or cry.
    Since this is an English forum and You don't have the letter ö, I put "oe" instead of "ö".

Laugh Chris..it would be better for your heart Im hopeful for other comments from more Heer collectors.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

All in good fun, I have a horster police officer degen but that is irrelevant here so I will shut up now lol

Horster used three crossguards the first a WKC type-1. Then the in house produced guards the Horster type-1 and Horster type-2 (Chris76 shows this guard) the type-2 has the Horster logo cast into the guard.

?

I believe Hörster used four crossguard types. I agree with what can be found on wardaggers.com. The website info states as follows:
    Hörster: MAKER MARKS - 2
    CROSSGUARD VARIANTS - 4 / 2 ( WKC-1st, HORSTER-1st, WKC 2nd, HORSTER - 2nd )

I own an early Hörster army dagger with the WKC 2nd crossguard. Here are some pictures.

Danny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Hoerster Crossguards   The Hoerster Crossguards  

The Hoerster Crossguards   The Hoerster Crossguards  

The Hoerster Crossguards  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast