Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How about this Eickhorn army dagger for $525?

Article about: The damage in question is the zinc oxidizing and pitting. I'm told it's not uncommon. I see why people prefer the brass earlier daggers. Eventually these zinc ones will start to break down I

Default How about this Eickhorn army dagger for $525?

Has a little chip on edge of one side of blade shown below, and black patina. Seller asking $525.

Many thanks for looking.

How about this Eickhorn army dagger for 5?

Chip shown here:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How about this Eickhorn army dagger for 5?
    P
    Many

Hi Avenger....nice price for an untouched example...I will move this to the Heer forum for more opinions. Any junky looking dirt or crud beneath the portepee knot..around the crossguard where its tied? Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks Larry for your response. It's always a pleasure to hear from you!

I'll ask the seller about that. Do you think the little chip on the edge of the blade is much to worry about?

And, since I'm a total beginner to these daggers, is it proper to leave it uncleaned like this, or to clean it? I presume the black would clean off to a shinier metal? But, my guess is this is like any other antique where it's better to leave it be. I see so many shiny one's that I think have been somewhat cleaned, it makes me wonder if that's what most people do to these....

P.S. Sorry I didn't have it in Heer to begin with. I thought I was already in that forum, and intended to put it there. I guess I just failed to pay enough attention.

Edit: Seller says there is no dirt or junk under the portepee.

That little knick IMO is minimal..as there s still crossgrain present and the blackening also trumps over the knick. I would leave the blackening alone..or you will depreciate the worth of the dagger. Strange process of silvering used between theses Heer daggers and political daggers..yet..the darkening is very desirable among Heer colleoctors. The portepee may have been a recent tie on..but for that price..I dont think its that bad. Let the Heer Guys jump in on it too. They will give you the best opinions.

No worries about posting in the wrong section..its my job to move things around...but if you do it repeatedly..then you get no Beer or barmaid service from this establishment. and a visit from Her !

Good to see you posting here again Best Regards Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images How about this Eickhorn army dagger for 5? 
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

God help me if that happens. I'll make every effort to be more careful from here on....

Asked for more photos, as the seller decided to take the knot off. It revealed this damage to the cross guard. How much does this change things?

Edit: Seller says it's texture of the silver plating. I've asked for a closer image of the spot in question.

The sellers images. Could be a defect from creation of the dagger? Seems to be on top and bottom of the left (right in the pictures) wing though.

Hello Scott,
    All of this in only my opinion, take it for what it is worth.
    Or, take the advice of any others who provide you with information. I am not studied up on the different versions of cross guards and pommels so I will defer to others that know more in this area. As long as all of the parts are original to this dagger.
    These daggers are now 70 years old and were meant to be worn, sometimes I'm sure, on a day to day basis. The condition of the portepee in itself is a testament to that.
    It will be difficult to obtain a flawless example in this price range. This Eickhorn marked example, complete with portepee, which could very well be original to this dagger and may very well never have been taken off before, is showing what appears to me to be the correct amount of patina that I would expect to see on a dagger that has not been cleaned or abused.
    Hope this helps,
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Hi Scott,

as far as the pics reveal its def. a 4th type eick crossguard, with a heavily patina.
    Silver on zinqcast will do that, its gives a nice even patina.
    The portepee is a later addition, there is absolute no difference in patina on the crossguard.
    Where the portepee would have been the silver shoudnt be that black.
    The 3th type Eick logo fits in the timeframe of the guard.
    You do not show the back of the scabbard, but that should have the big flat screw on the back.
    The litte "damage"could well just be discoularisation and no real damage.
    imo it will not have any concequences relating its price.
    The chips in the blade and the bad condition of the portepee makes the 525 a bit on the high side, offer him 475 dollars i would think thats a fair price for a late Eickhorn.

Regards,
    Ger

Heer daggers were made by a huge assortment of different companies and are, fortunately, fairly common to find in decent shape. UNfortunately, to find one in flawless condition with hangers and portapee, the prices begin to rapidly climb abit-6 or 7 hundred dollars on the low side and topping a thousand or more-depending on the rarity of the maker, etc. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend for what you are looking for. If you are Lucky, perhaps you can come across a Heer from a Veteran's estate-one that has been well cared for, but more likely, you'll almost have to end up hunting through the dealers inventories.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast