Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lionhead Saber - Requesting ID and Opinions

Article about: Hello. Here is a Lionhead sword with a somewhat rough exterior. Blade looks to be in near mint condition. Someone locally is offering this for sale and I wanted to see what you all thought a

Default Lionhead Saber - Requesting ID and Opinions

Hello. Here is a Lionhead sword with a somewhat rough exterior. Blade looks to be in near mint condition. Someone locally is offering this for sale and I wanted to see what you all thought about it before I made an offer.

It looks to me like it might be late war as the quality of detail seems a bit lower than other TR sword designs but I'm not certain. Opinions are greatly appreciated. Thank you
    Lionhead Saber - Requesting ID and OpinionsLionhead Saber - Requesting ID and OpinionsLionhead Saber - Requesting ID and OpinionsLionhead Saber - Requesting ID and Opinions

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Lionhead Saber - Requesting ID and Opinions
    P
    Many

Can you see a maker mark on it?
    cheers Ronnie

The lighting is not very consistent (not a complaint, just an observation) but from what I can see it looks to me like an early brass hilted saber (copper became a restricted material for the military's rearmament). Which were not always gold plated and started as sand (the mold) castings. And so far I'm liking what I'm seeing. Best Regards, Fred

Hi, From the photos, I am inclined to agree with Fred. It looks like a sleeper and untouched. The langet eagle is quite a common pattern and on the reverse langet it probably shows a vertical plain oval within an extended oak wreath?? The sword is almost certainly manufactured by Aexander Coppel (ALCOSO)? If I am correct, then there are two patterns, gold washed aluminium (Late) and gilded brass (Early). Due to the patina on your sword, it is dificult to asses which pattern it is. It is not at all unusual to find mint blades on well used hilts. Most of the blades that you see are plated rather than polished ergo retain their high shine finish. It is a relatively common Army sword but a nice piece none-the-less. One word of advice if I may, be very carefull how you handle the grip as the brass wire wrap is both loose and fragile. At the risk of being boo'ed by the purists, I would be inclined, as I have done with one or two of my swords, to carefully replace the wire in its original positions and secure it with a small drop of strong glue just to stop it moving or catching then snapping. Just a suggestion!!! Brass is usually preferred to alloy and is therefore margianaly more expencive in my experience.
    Hope that this is of interest to you. Cheers Michael Ryan

Not sure of the maker, but it has the stubby winged political stlye eagle on it(head facing left) looks a bit like my WKC.
    Lionhead Saber - Requesting ID and Opinions

Hey everyone. Thanks for the info. I bought the sword tonight and will upload pics here in a day or two. It is not mint but it's definitely untouched and original. Just the way I like it. Alcoso marked.

Hi Maximus, I have the match to your sword but with a patterned Dove Head pommel. I agree with your suggestion re the manufacturer, ergo, WKC. Mine bears the Knight's Head logo over the initials "WKC" however, considdering that WKC was one of the formost sword manufacturers of the period it supprises me how many of their products were sold with unmarked blades. Personnally, I like WKC made weapons and wouls love to own your sword. You often find unmarked blades with a Knights Helm incorporated in the reverse langet design!!.
    Hope that this is of interest to you.
    Cheers Michael Ryan.

Nice early Alcoso. As said, the sand cast is normal. I didn't see-does it have it's sheath?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks, Wagriff. Yes it has the sheath. A bit of paint loss but no dents. Could you explain more about the sand cast and what makes that manufacturing process different from other TR sabers?

Also, thank you Michael Ryan for the info. Very informative!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast